Horror is Like, Really Gay


So, as I was explaining the plot of The Hunger to my man, because it's wild. As you all know, I love almost anything to do with Vampires, obviously I really love this movie.

I actually recommend that you watch it because David Bowie is in it! Like, when I think of vampires, I kind of imagine that they have the ~swag~ of DB and Catherine Deneuve. Before things make a complete left turn, they are a pretty hot couple.

It's also a "moment" for LGBT+ cinema, and it's pride month. So, you can't go wrong with The Hunger. This movie is being remade, I don't know how I feel about that yet. But anyway, here are some more queer friendly films to enjoy during Pride Month. I think these particular movies are not mentioned with the more obvious ones like The Babadook, Nightmare on Elm Street 2, The Rocky Horror Picture Show (which I can recite from memory!) and Jennifer's Body. I love Jennifer's Body, so it was hard for me not it include it!! 

Cat People

Don't get distracted by the supposed "bad acting". This movie is entertaining and ahead of it's time. But basically, if the main character Irena gets, uhm, aroused, she will turn into a panther. And what possibly turns Miss Irene is arguably her man's female assistant. Irena was afraid to become intimate with her husband, because of what might happen. The anticipation of Irena turning into a cat creature really elevates when the character Alice comes into the forefront. So, make up your mind with that. But I think it's *coded* lesbianism.  The "feminine monster" in movies is often pretty queer. For example Miss Jennifer Check fron Jennifer's Body, Miryam Blaylock in the aforementioned film The Hunger, and Samantha Williams in Contracted.


Something I thing is pretty cool (but unconfirmed), is that I think that Cat People somewhat inspired Scooby Doo on Zombie Island in little ways.

First of all: Simone and Lena were totally gay, and living the dream. If I could live with the person I loved forever in a big old house with peppers in the back yard, I'd be about it. Haunted by Pirates? NBD, honestly.
 In Cat People, the main character (Irena) is played by an actress named Simone Simon. The elder cat woman was named Simone! Also, Cat People was directed by Jacques Tourneur. The cat man that was in charge of the ferry was named Jacques as well. I really don't feel like this is a #reach because Jacques Tourneur also directed the cult classic: I Walked with a Zombie.


What's The Matter with Helen

So like, after Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? there was a huge boom in films that feature a ~psycho biddy~  (hate that term!). Most of those films are like cult classics for Gay men, which I have conflicting (and irrelevant) feelings on. I feel like this one kind of gets the short end of the stick and think it should be as big as "Baby Jane" and Sunset Boulevard. First of all, it starts Debbie Freakin' Reynolds and Shelly Freakin' Winters, two Gay icons. And, they kiss! Well,  the kiss was unscripted.. and it was cut out of the movie for like, super obvious reasons.

 But at the end of the day, "The Matter" with Helen was that she was in love is Adelle. Now, it's not like super obvious and might not punch you in the face until the end. Kind of like the ending of The Children's Hour starring Audrey Hepburn and Shirley MacLaine. I say it's not super obvious because the women are mother to sons who went to jail for murder and Adelle eventually remarries. The surface value "matter" is that Aunt Helen is violently insane. Or, if you own a thesaurus, you could say that Aunt Helen was odd, or even, queer after the murder of her husband. Shelly Winters originally played Helen much more uh, gay; and was told to "tone it down" by the makers of the film.


Helen is pissed when Adelle gets herself a manShe starts listening to a woman that hosts a religious radio show to feel better. Then, after some events she goes to the woman's church and freaks the f*ck out. Then, Helen, woo never mind I don't want to give away the ending because it is....a lot. I think the main reason that this movie isn't as culturally impactful as it could have been is because the people that were in charge of marketing made the shock ending a huge part of the marketing. (x) Which makes literally no sense, and this movie is actually the reason studios do not market things this way anymore. I still think a lot of horror movies do this by showing the scariest parts of the movie in the trailer, but I guess that's up for debate.


Hemlock Grove

Just so you know, I will not be taking criticism, but Roman and Peter were in love. There's no question about it, Bill Skarsgard lives rent free in my brain so, trust me, I know.

I've been reading about different kinds of love in an attempt to come to terms with my own sexuality, because it literally makes no sense. Like, I scored an X on the Kinsey Scale even thought I obviously have had sex before. I'm a whole weirdo. When I say I'm queer. I mean it.

 Like I guess it's called Grey-A. I'm not too sure because that doesn't make sense to me either idk, it doesn't really matter at the end of the day. I think ultimately, I used to self harm with sex so now it makes me high key uncomfortable. I don't wanna be like "save it for marriage" because that's like, super unrealistic. So, I'm gonna be like "actually think about it".

Anyway, maybe Roman and Peter weren't in love in the same way I can say I'm in love with my husband. But I do think they loved each other. I do think they were soulmates. And the first season "big bad" totally had lesbian connotations. Like, baby girl killed only females because she considered them "whores". Miss Vargulf did kiss a boy, and promptly scratched tf out of his face. But, he didn't seem to care.....Roman, despite being a male is the biggest slut on the show, but she never had any smoke for him! Uninterested in the dude who will have sex with anyone.  Okay, Christina, I see you girl.


Psycho

Yo, I'm not even going to comment on what was actually going on with Norman. I'm not about to swerve out of my lane. Because maybe, Psycho (and Silence of the Lambs, high key) probably did more harm than good for the image of gay men.  However, the person that played Norman was gay or bi. And, I feel that Anthony Perkins should be celebrated. Also, there are a lot of possibly gay "moments" in other Hitchcock films.
  • Rope is based on the true story of Nathan Leopold and Richard Loeb. Without giving away what the movie is about, just know they are perfect examples of the Dunning-Krugar Effect. And yeah they were probably gay. The film implies this, but the play it was based on had them as boyfriends.
  • Martin Landau's character in North By Northwest can be interpreted as gay and in love with James Mason's character. I mean, he straight up says he has "woman's intuition". Let's not pretend there was (is?) a very popular show featuring gay men telling women how to be women. It kind of makes some of the things he does a have a deeper reason. Especially the ending. If any of us have been rejected by people we were in love with, you were probably like: mood. Or maybe I'm just unhinged.
  • Strangers on a Train is like, super gay. So gay, apparently, that there are two versions of it. A gay European version and a boring American version. Even the sanitized version has a lot to unpack. As seen in Psycho, we know what people at that time thought of men that were "mama's boys". And I always felt Bruno and Guy were flirting when they first meet. And, I guess, idk how I feel about this one, that the scene at the end is supposed to represent a rape. I don't feel that way, because I felt like their flirting was mutual; and so if a sexual encounter were to occur it wouldn't be violent (unless they were into that kind of thing). This movie has sometimes been compared to The Talented Mr. Ripley (A WHOLE MOVIE!!!!), because like, you know Tom is gay for the entire, and they don't really have to explicitly say it.  The kiss (!!!) at the end is not a surprise.

The Great Mouse Detective

Vincent Price's daughter confirmed he was Queer as f*ck a few years back. Contrary to popular belief due to the church I grew up in, I didn't think that much about gay people growing up, like it wasn't something that was on my mind really. Maybe because my grandmother had me around a lot of gay people due to her job at the time. I remember really enjoying this movie because the villain Rattigan was so flamboyant. Probably the first villain I really rooted for. So maybe, The Great Mouse Detective is my supervillain origin story.
As an adult, I really think that Disney coding a good chunk of their villains to be queer is actually like, not very cool. But I do think that a queer person playing a gay villain is very sexy and cool of Disney.
Rattigan isn't like the other queer coded villains in some of our favorite cartoons. He's not stupid like James from Pokemon, he's not effeminate like Jafar (which was still kind of hot ngl),   He's not associated with a phallic symbol (snake) like the canonically non-binary Orochimaru from Naruto. He's a RAT, and evil RAT. He was hulking and terrifying and had the stature of a football player.
Another thing that was very sexy and cool: Vincent Price was super supportive of his daughter when she came out as a lesbian. Love that for her! He even spoke out against homophobia in the 1970s. King! 
I know that people who possibly don't consider The Great Mouse Detective to be horror, and that's totally fine. But for ME, this was the my first ever jumpscare.
So, The Great Mouse Detective will always be the GOAT of the non princess Disney Films. And, if it wasn't for The Great Mouse Detective, we might not even have got a lot of the princess movies. The Great Mouse Detective was the start of the Disney Renaissance.

Comments