Lost Media: The Piranha scene in Cannibal Holocaust.

Right before the 1 October incident, I gave my friends horror movie recommendations so they would watch scary movies all October. After what happened, I didn’t feel really comfortable talking about blood and guts because a lot of my friends lost friends and family due to the terrorist attack. I was still able to give this messed up movie a shout out, with a warning that was uncharacteristic of me. I gave it a trigger warning. I usually don’t believe in putting trigger warnings on horror films

I’ve learned the hard way that my opinion is not the popular opinion. The reason I went against my usual behavior is because Cannibal Holocaust features the very real slaughter of animals. I don’t believe in trigger warnings in film because it’s fake. As said in the trailer for The Last House On The Left, if you have an issue, just repeat “its only a movie”.

Cannibal Holocaust isn’t “only a movie”, becuase it contains real animal death. A coatimundi, a yellow spotted river turtle, a snake, a tarantula, a piglet, and two squirrel monkeys are killed in this film. If it makes you feel better, the animals were used for food. Also, the director Ruggero Deodato regrets ever making the movie. He expressed remorse for the animal deaths, and at the time of release, the film got him in a LOT of trouble. Due to the animal deaths and realistic special effects, Ruggero Deodato was charged with murder in his home country of Italy. When the actors appeared in court and the special effects were explained, the charges were dropped. Entertainment Weekly considers Cannible Holocaust to be the most controversial film of all time.

This film has cultural significance. It was one of the first found footage movies. Without the infamy of Cannibal Holocaust, we would not have many of the most popular contemporary horror films like Paranormal Activity, V/h/s, or the ever elusive, never actually released until recently film, Poughkeepsie Tapes*.

This film pulled no punches and it’s hard to believe they left anything out. The first time I saw Cannibal Holocaust, I felt like I had seen everything I ever needed to see. But I was wrong, there was a scene that was cut. But don’t expect to ever see it, becuase it’s lost. We know the scene was at least partially filmed because of this still.



Here’s what’s going on: the man on the log is a Shamatari warrior. He’s from another tribe. He was injured fighting, and they cut his leg off. Then, they tied him to the log and lowered him in piranha infested waters. Obviously, the warrior was eaten alive. What a way to go! The fact is, piranhas are wild animals, and trying to control them was difficult. Also, the underwater camera kept messing up. This scene was never completed. There appears to be no footage of the attempts at this scene. There are rumors that the scene is in certain video releases, however no one can produce this obscure copy, so it’s safe to assume they’re lying.

Stay Spooky,
Nik

*I’m working on a post on The Poughkeepsie Tapes. 🖤❤️🖤



Comments