Can I Offer You Some Hulu in These Trying Times?

I was fully planning on publishing my review of The Boy 2, because ya girl had some thoughts. However, now I think it's a good time to tell y'all about the horror movies and television shows I think are worth watching on Hulu.

The Cabin in The Woods: A horror-comedy where a group of college students go to a cabin in the woods. It's a "who's who" in horror, if you will. Also, if you are into the Buffyverse like I am, I'm pretty sure the senior partners are in this movie. This movie was made in 2011 and directed by Drew Goddard.

Buffy The Vampires Slayer: If you are not into the Buffyverse, there is no excuse at this point. BTVS is a television show that is the aftermath of a movie where our heroine, Buffy Anne Summers, had to change schools after getting expelled for burning down her old school. I really like the first season of Buffy, it really gives off the feel of the X-files. I wish that they kind of kept with that as the show progressed, but at the same time, I really love the continuity the show had. Tara told Buffy "Be back before Dawn" in  season four. Like, are you kidding me? If you don't want to watch the first season, which is your mistake to make here are some of my favorite episodes that don't require a lot of knowledge of the lore. I'm not gonna get too deep into it,because I really want you to watch for yourself.

  • Tabula Rasa (season 6, episode 8)- In this episode, everyone has lost their memory. So, if you know nothing about these people, just know, they are just as confused as you are. 

  • Hush (season 4, episode 10) - The first time I saw this episode was when I learned that most "high brow" awards simply do not respect horror. Does that stop me from getting mad every awards season? Absolutely not! The fact that Doug Jones didn't win an Emmy for this episode (or an Oscar for Pan's Labyrinth or The Shape of Water) is so annoying. Anyway, this is the only episode that has the distinction of being nominated for an Emmy. You'll definitely see why the cinematography deserved it. I know that this is technically a horror show, but this is one of the few episodes that is truly scary. But that's probably because I like to talk so much. 

  • Surprise/ Innocence (season 2 episode 13 &14) Yes, you have to watch them together. Let em just say as a girl. I would say most... of not all of us heathens that had premarital sex have been there™. Also we find out that Buffy is a Capricorn and that is the only birthday canon this fellow Capricorn will accept. Representation matters! 

  • Earshot (season 3, episode 16) I was too young to recognize the #drama of it all. This episode aired much later than it was supposed to because of the Columbine Massacre. I really appreciate this episode because Jonathan is my favorite side character. If you also like Jonathan, I would suggest watching Superstar (season 4, episode 17) There's literally no lore necessary and in a weird way is a good idea of everything Buffy has done in her life up to that point. 
  • The Wish (season 9, episode 3) Okay, I guess I will answer the age old question here...Spuffy or Bangel? For me, neither! I know everyone talks about Willow's sexuality, as they should, that was groundbreaking. But, I have re-watched Buffy the Vampire slayer dozens of times and Cordelia was in love with Buffy. Also, I know not everyone considers comics canon, but at some point Buffy had a girlfriend. So you know what? You don't have to agree, i don't make the rules. But I am just putting it out there. Anyway, this isn't about Cordelia not being able to handle her feeling for Buffy. This is an episode where she wishes Buffy never came to their town. And you know what they say....Be careful what you wish for!

Lords of Chaos - A fictional account of the black metal scene in 1990s Norway. This movie is very violent, so I just felt like I should ~warn~ you.  I follow Valter Skarsgard on twitter, and he updated his followers during the making of this movie. I was really excited to see it on Hulu because Lords of Chaos was not playing at a theater by me. Valter isn't the only famous sibling in this movie. It actually stars Rory Culkin! You know what I just realized? Rory is kind of a scream king, wow.
Anyway, this movie is directed by Jonas Akerlund. I associate that man with some of the greatest music videos ever. And honestly, this movie does kind of feel like a long form music video that is distinctly Akerlund. And, I guess there are two versions of this movie out there. So if you are really dedicated I would watch the entire movie if you have access.

Little Monsters
No, this has nothing to do with Lady Gaga. This is a movie about a teacher that protects her kindergartners on a school trip. Lupita Nyong'o plays the teacher, so we have no choice but to stan. This movie is much more funny than scary, so it's fun for the whole family! If you forget about the cussing, violence, and murder. I'm usually not a fan of Taylor Swift's music, but I'll let it slide this time. Honestly this movie is so wacky and deserved so much more attention than it received.
When I first clicked on this movie to watch, I didn't look at the name. I saw Lupita in a pretty dress and I was already sold on watching the movie. I love that it was a horror-comedy. Even though she was in US, I think Lupita still has this ~refined~ air about her. Which I actually love because we don't see enough super feminine black women in media these days. But I like that she still looked prim and proper while beating up zombies. 



Here are some other things I recommend that are not horror, but are on Hulu
  • It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia ( TV Series...Dennis is a serial killer. change my mind)
  • Single Parents (TV Series)
  • Lego Masters (reality/competition show)
  • King of the Hill (TV series)
  • Assassination Classroom (anime)
  • Desperate Housewives (TV series)
  • Sorry to Bother you (movie)
  • Hey Arnold (TV series)
  • Charlotte's Web (movie, not the remake)
  • The Swan Princess (movie)
  • Sailor Moon Crystal (anime) 
  • My 600 Pound Life (docuseries)
  • Larger Than Life: The Kevin Aucoin Story (documentary)
  • Buzzfeed Unsolved: Sports Conspiracies (docuseries) 

Comments