The Monster Mash!

If you listen to The Monster Mash, you realize we have never seen or heard the actual Monster Mash. We just hear Bobby Pickett and the Krypt Keepers telling us about the song and dance. So technically, the original Monster Mash is the ultimate form of lost media.
While research tells me the dance the monster dad while coming to life for the first time was likely some form of the mashed potato, I'd like to think that it could have been something else. Dancing back then (and now) could be very elegant at times and I think it would be cooler to see him doing some less obvious dance from the 1950s. I know the song was released in 1962, so I think it could make sense for this monster to do a mash up of all the dances that were popular when he was still alive.
The monster is implied to be some version of The Monster from Frankenstein, so it's a whole bunch of people's parts making up one body. So doing different dances makes more sense. Not everyone does the same exact dance when listening to music.
Something really cool about this song is that Bobby Pickett was doing an impression of Boris Karloff when recording the song. It got so popular that people began to call Bobby Boris.
In 1962, the show Shindig! recorded Boris Karloff himself doing a rendition of the song. Only the audio exists now, but like the actual Monster Mash that Bobby tells up he saw, we will never see it.
I still have Joker on the brain because. like wow, a movie....I think that Bobby Pickett could have gave Caesar Romero a run for his money in regards to the Batman TV show. His expressions are super creepy and entertaining. And this was on American Bandstand! So it's not like he wasn't popular or anything. I know this was kind of short entry, but I felt it deserved it's own post because I love things that are silly and creepy!
 I hope you guys enjoyed this week of lost media over here. Next week is going to be...well I don't know. I have not felt well at all this week. And it's been hard to keep up with a lot.  But the week after that is going to be all about America's relationship with horror. You know Ya Girl is excited! Have a spooky weekend!

Comments