The Curious Case Of (The Future) Jacqui Briggs

I understood the MKX Jacqui hate train. I understood it far too well. But, that's life when you're pretty, brown, and nerdy. So I was really careful about the reviews I read for Jacqui, but at the same time, I didn't want to have like, an echo chamber. I found out that a lot of people disliked Jacqui for the same reasons that I did. Her fight style was difficult to navigate compared to the other characters. When I played Jacqui, I would have to spam moves and they rarely connected. It was a mess.  Also, her costumes were stupid. I felt like people disliking Jacqui because she was "too much like her dad" was stupid because Cassie has her mom's looks and her dad's personality and there is much less complaints about that. But, like I said before. I understand that far too well.

A lot of people like Jacqui for the same reasons that I do, Takeda is cool and we love interracial relationships that don't have any white people in them. Is this the video game world's Cinderella? I think so!
I also liked Jacqui's concept art for MKX a whole bunch. After seeing it, I was extra disappointed in the direction they chose to go in. It felt lazy and low effort.
I felt like a lot of the hate Jacqui receives is uncalled for, but sometimes it is sensible. Her design is totally a fair criticism. 
However, when I was doing my research for my  Kabal post, I watched this video where Ed Boon (co-creator, creative director) explains every single character of Mortal Kombat 11. He spent A LOT of time of Jacqui, almost as much as Scorpion. And, we all know Scorpion is Ed's favorite. Something that I learned was that Ed was also the voice of Jax at one point. So I kind of thought it was like he was talking about how proud he was of his daughter :) Or his daughter in law because y'all know Scorpion is Takeda's father. I was under the impression that he liked Cassie better but he had so much more to say about Jacqui.
He made an effort to mention that the voice actress and face model were how he always imagined them to be. I was like why put this much thought into it compared to everyone else? Jacqui did share a chapter with the younger version of her father, but she was not a big of a deal in the story. She did wear Kronika's crown, and I was kind of bummed there was no after effects of that. But, this is not the end of Mortal Kombat. I'm pretty sure that there is going to be a 12. I would love to see if Jacqui (or Jax, it depends on who you picked, right? I always pick Jacqui at that part idk) had any extra magic in her. I personally think they are going to go in a different direction for Jacqui, but I would love Jacqui to have power's like everyone else in her group. Cassie has 'the glow', Jin has that stick thing, Takeda has telekinesis and Jacqui has...arm things. To be fair, Jacqui is the only person that I have trouble fighting against. Jacqui with powers could easily kill me.  

I was pretty freakin' stoked when I saw that Jacqui got a whole new look that was distinctive. Even though this isn't Jacqui's first game, I really hope her "Lethal Weapon" skin is her considered her Klassic.

She is so beautiful! Everyone looked stupid and sweaty in MKX, but I felt like Jacqui got the worst hate for that. We know why, and I think people really don't have the room to complain anymore. Her kickboxer/Muay Thai style is much more....kicky and I feel like she has let! them! know! she deserves her spot on the roster.





 Then I unlocked another look, and another. There's even one that kind of looks like me, which rarely happens in the media I tend to consume.So I was hyped. I will gladly die for my baby girl Jacqui and I'll gladly take everyone with me!

I have noticed that myy favorite costume is one that doesn't really make sense. She has what looks like free form locs and a dress thing that kind of looks like it came from the nineties.But like, not really. It's hard to explain. It looks like nothing I've seen on anyone in Mortal Kombat. It doesn't even look anything like her concept art.And, I think the MKX concept of Jacqui can been seen in Mk11 Jacqui a little bit in regards to other looks.



We know that Kronika has messed with time before. And I have been unable to pick where that Jacqui outfit comes into play. Kind of like Cassie's ugly Mass Effect suits. The closest thing it looks like is Jax's Kronika's gear. Also, Jacqui had a skin in Kombat League's season of time. A whole time skin! You might not remember because it was very hard to get lol. If you're friends with me on facebook, you might remember my tantrum about it! Anyway, Erron Black (boyfriend #2) and Kollector were team Kronika, so them getting time skins makes sense. Raiden messing with time is why we are where we are now. Him getting a time skin makes sense. But Jacqui? She was a nonfactor in the end battle! I don't even remember seeing her now that I think about it! Why not Liu Kang or someone more involved? Maybe, even switching out Kabal's Quan Chi skin for a Kabal "time" skin. Jacqui had a whole kosplay skin. Her and Cassie should have got the Quan Chi Skin. And y'all know I'm saying that sh*t with my chest because I am a FAN of boys in eyeliner. So for me not to want a Kabal (boyfriend #1) skin where he could potentially be wearing eyeliner is a #bigdeal. And I think Jacqui got a time skin because she is going to be a #bigdeal in the next game.


I think, in some other timeline,  Cassie and Jacqui are fighting against each other. And, it's the timeline we are going to see. I think Mortal Kombat 12 will deal with time travel once again. The thing about time travel, is that you can never do it once. No one has ever in the history of time has gotten it right on the first try. Not even Kronika who is in charge of time. The Cursed Child exists and I was under the impression we were done with anything related to time travel after #that.

It's already been established that Jacqui will literally yeet herself from existence for her father. I replayed the story mode of Mortal Kombat 11 in preparation for #kombatweek. I thought it was odd that Jacqui didn't even hesitate when her (old age) dad was like "Okay, we stan Kronika now." Because, it's possible that Jacqui joining Kronika could have significantly tipped the scales.

In my ideal MK12, I think the Kangster and Kitana are going to mess up time even worse than Raiden and Kronika did. This may come as a shock to everyone, but I actually do not like Kitana. I think she is a mean person. I think most of her personality is just every negative princess stereotype. Which is okay for a character, I don't think every princess has to be a "disney" type princess and tbh we would be better as a species if we had more competent female villains. I'm cool with an evil princess, but I wouldn't consider them to be characters I like (or will cosplay as) at this point in my life.

I can see Kitana being vengeful and trying to punish people for things that technically have no longer happened. She liked being evil a little too much in MKX and 11. Not to mention her step dad is pretty evil and that's probably rubbd off on her even if it wasn't intentional. The only reason Kitana is "good" is because of Liu Kang. I really think if she never encountered our fave fire god she would be totally chill with being one of Shao Khan's assassin even at her big age. 

I think Liu Kang and Kitana are going to break up over things like that. Some people don't even get the ending where Liu Kang and Kitana are together. Some people got Raiden instead. Which Btw, I would much rather be beheaded by Kronika. So who knows which ending is actually canon? The only thing that's canon is that I hate Raiden lol.

I think Kitana is going to try and take control of the hourglass for herself and it's going to escalate in a race to the Hourglass similar to the race to the Pyramid. History always repeats itself, especially if we never learn from it. And, we know that like half of them do not learn anything based on their ladder endings.

So I do think that half the roster is going to be team Liu Kang and the other half will be team Kitana.
I think that most of the White Lotus, Lin Kuei, and Special Forces are going to be Team LK, just based on the fact that he is/was an earthrealmer. However, I do think that Erron Black is going to be on Liu Kang's side because he somehow pays more than Kitana. Something I also think, because I'm back on my bullshit is that Kabal is going to leave the Black Dragon again. In their interactions, Liu Kang seems like...nice to Kabal. Especially compared to Erron and Kano. He even invited him to join the Shaolin Monks. And, being a monk,  when you're a whole non Chinese adult is like, really hard from my in depth fifteen minute youtube research. I think he sees the potential in Kabal. And, as we all know, Kabal does not want much in life. All he wanted was one hundred million dollars and a bad bitch.  I love a good antihero, and hope they will let Kabal be one again.

I also think that Erron Black would b a cool sidekick to Kabal defending the timeline. Kitana doesn't like Erron, she basically fired him. "We need to renegotiate lmao". I don't think Kitana offered him the same thing or better than Shao Khan. She seems to want order and peace, and baby boy is reckless. He's not about that.

I'm sick of Mortal Kombat trying to make fetch happen with an Evil Liu Kang. I hate. I hate Zombie Liu Kang, and I hate revenant Liu Kang. I do have a bad feeling that Liu kang could go evil again down the line. Cetrion implied that Kang's fire is the same as Onaga. They haven't spoken about Onaga in recent years, but y'all that is not the dragon you wanna be compared to if you are a hero. Liu Kang and Jacqui are going bad, y'all! I don't think anyone should be in charge of time. As much as I dislike Kotal Khan, he had the right idea.

I think the rest of the Black Dragon, what's left of the Red Dragon, the Shrai Ryu, and most of Outworld is going to be on the side of Kitana. I think that Jax, Jacqui, and Kung Jin are also going to be on Kitana's side as well. Jax wants a better life for Jacqui, as we saw in MK11. In MK11, I thought it was out of character for Jacqui to not even consider joining her (old age) dad. So, this time she is going to. Which is going to cause problems between her and Takeda. Takeda is happy with his life. He's avenged his mom, he has a good wife, and he likes the way things are going. He is going through it because Jacqui and Scorpion are really #tryingit with Kitana. Also, he's kind of pissed at Jin too. But Kung Jin is like"Liu Kang doesn't even like me lol f*ck him." Are we even sure Kung Jin is 100% alive? They killed everyone at the Wu Shi Academy in the story, but he's texting with Cassie in her introductions. So, who knows.

I can just imagine Jacqui being like "We can make it so your mom (or Jin)  never dies blah blah blah..." and Takeda telling her that she is not thinking the right way because even if they changed one thing, that could mean that they might never meet. You already Hanzo wants to go back in time! Poor Takeda lol.

Or even do the whole thing backwards where Jacqui and Kung Jin want things to remain the same and Takeda and Cassie want Kitana to be in charge of time. They also have legit reasons to not like the way time is going. TBH I don't see Liu Kang and Kitana bringing Sonya back a priority if they don't do it immediately. But hey, they will likely never let themselves become undead so who knows. I saw someone create a revenant Sonya and if that were to happen I think Cassie would def want to change time!

Another interesting MK 12 story line would be the original tournament without "The Chosen One" so Shao Khan wins....hmmm.

I just think that would be a good story, and it would explain the outfits. It's a peak into the future. I would love this as a story IF AND ONLY IF the kombat kids make up at the end. Otherwise, keep it!
 I love Cassie and Jacqui's friendship and I have enjoyed seeing it develop in comics, games, and people's fan art. I want to see more of it because most of their interactions pass the Bechdel test and we need more of that. Even though I think this is funny.
What do you think her answer was? What's yours? Mine is F Erron, M Kabal, and K Kano, but I'm sure you already knew that if you follow me on literally any other social media haha.

Comments