The Curious Case of Cassie Cage



 This whole idea started with a dab. I felt like, super old because i had to google why Cassie Cage was dabbing. Then, I realized Cassie's personality had subtly changed. At first I was like, "well she did beat up a God, I'd be annoying too." But then I remembered something that made me feel a little less elderly.

Cassie and I are the same age. Actually, I might be a *little* older but not by much. We graduated high school in the same year. So, I am also acquainted with people the same age as Cassie and I. I have never seen someone our age dab. Not even as a joke.

Dabbing started in Atlanta and was gentrified by a youtube man called Jake Paul. Jake is twenty two. A bit younger than Cassie and I. I'm not one of those people that's like "Mortal Kombat has to be serious 10000% of the time, rated M for mature". As you are all well aware I love all things silly and dumb. But, Cassie dabbing felt really out of place and weird. I couldn't imagine looking at MKX Cassie and hearing her say "Boom! That's right." That's just not her personality.

Cassie is a ~millennial~, but MKX Cassie wasn't written to be like an avocado toast, unicorn frappe, bar soap industry killing butthead. She did like selfies and "friendship", but she wasn't someone that felt like they were written by and old person trying to be young. Cassie *almost* made the army look cool. Jacqui does make the army look cool, but at the same time, I'm like, never going to join the army and I will keep that particular conspiracy theory to myself.
As I actually managed to actually beat a spamming Scorpion in the Kursed Kombat League. I looked at Cassie as she formed a heart inside Takeda's real father's chest and realized.

That is not "our" Cassie.

Why does Cassie sound like a teenager instead of someone in her mid-twenties? How did her hair grow ALL THE WAY to her back in such a short time period? Ok, like, I know this one is a stretch, but her lil undercut was iconic. I feel like Netherrealm studios has trouble with hair. Why go out of their way to give someone that already had short hair long hair? Because Cassie was pulled from time by Kronika at a point before she cut her hair. Before the game even started.  Probably when Raiden started being Dark Raiden and Outworld stopped fu*king with Earthrealm like that.


Something that really bothered me was that Kronika had absolutely NO SMOKE for Cassie even
thought she killed Shinok, her son. Kronika was a weak villain in terms of common sense imo, but Cassie is just a normal girl with the power of the glow. She even says as much in her MK11 ladder ending. She would much rather leave all of that to the Liu Kangs and Kitanas of the world. She is not "The Chosen One", she's just got the glow.

It would be nothing to wipe her from history. In the grand scheme of things, prior to beating Shinok, she was just one speck of stardust in the infinite void we call an existence. It would be nothing to pull Sonya and Johnny from the past and kill them so Cassie wouldn't exist. Sonya and Johnny are kind of a big deal to the MK Universe and without them, some things probably would have turned out different. Raiden might not have had the opportunity to mess up people's, but especially Shinok's fate. Maybe I just really don't like Raiden, or find him interesting, but maybe the story would have improved a bit if Kronika went through time trying to find/stop the glow. Cassie and Johnny beat Shinok. Raiden just helped. But, Cassie didn't even want all that for her life. She just wanted to be the best soldier she could be.


So, imagine you're a teenager in some sh*tty timeline, like maybe your dad is an alcoholic, and your mom is busy. Paparazzi are following you when you're just trying to go to school. Then you get to school and people are calling out the flop that was Ninja Mime two: Silent But Deadly. You feel very, very alone.
Then, the keeper of time shows up and tells you things are not supposed to be like this. And that in the future things are better. She asks you if you want to go to the future where your mom and dad are together and happy. Your dad is sober and successful, and you get to be closer to your mom. You're gonna say heck yeah.

In the future, you don't really vibe with the stuff you're "supposed" to like. Since you are just mentally not at that age yet. You're going to like stuff that corresponds to the age that you mentally are. Which is why Cassie dabs. She's playing Fortnite!
Jacqui, her bff is getting married and Cassie is still trolling on Tinder. In the comics and in Mortal Kombat X, Jacqui never came across as significantly more mature than Cassie. Maybe a little more cautious in things, but never more mature. There are different ways to be mature. For example, John Cho and The Rock are the same age. They are both mature, but mature in different ways. That's how I felt about Cassie and Jacqui. I also think that's why they made such good friends, and why I like them in the comments. They complement each other.
So, after all that bullsh*t, after Kronika promised her a better future, her mother dies right in front of her. It really makes you rethink THAT scene with Cassie and Johnny. It was all for nothing.


These are two different Cassie's from different timeline. Short hair/ugly outfit Cassie is MKX Cassie. As in the Cassie that we know.

 Story Mode/Long hair/slighly better outfit Cassie is the Kronika Cassie.

At least, if I was in charge of the story, I would have written it this way. This is more of a "headKanon/theory" then something I feel are hardcore facts like with Kabal. I know there is someone who has some sus looks, and I'll be back with my thoughts on that later.

Comments