Carl Laemmle

I'm not really sure where I'm going with this one. I have had it on my mind for a while, like before I decided to dedicate this week to Universal Studios. The Democratic Debates were on last night, and of course everyone was talking about what was wrong with America. And to be fair, there is a lot. But, there is also a lot right with America.
I believe the life story of Carl Laemmle really shows what the American spirit was always intended to be. I hope that one day, Universal Studios can make a biopic on the founder of Universal Studios. He had a really interesting life! I think the face of the people of the immigrants to America have been focused on one ethnicity when that is not the case in reality. We have been a melting pot and hopefully, we can be the land of opportunity Carl Laemmle flourished in.

Carl Laemmle was born in mid January to a Jewish family in the Kingdom of Württemberg in 1867. When he immigrated to the United States in 1884, he would eventually create Universal Pictures in 1912 with Mark Dintenfass, Charles O. Baumann, Adam Kessel, Pat Powers, William Swanson, David Horsley, Robert H. Cochrane, and Jules Brulatour. Universal is the oldest surviving film studio in the United States of America. The first film to be distributed was a silent film called The Dawn of Netta. I THINK it is considered lost, but I might just have to look harder. The first Universal horror film is accepted to be The Hunchback of Notre Dame, which was filmed in  1923. I have extreme empathy for Quasimodo, so I personally don't like calling this a horror film. It's a tragic love story! I kind of feel that way about The Creature from the Black Lagoon. And, I'm obviously not the only one.

What I really admire about Carl Laemmle is that he was all about putting "his people" on. Nepotism can kind of be a bad thing most of the time. However, he personally funded other Jewish people's immigration to America during the Holocaust. He employed over seventy members of his family during his riegn at Universal. Including his nephew, William Wyler. My favorite Wyler film is obviously Roman Holiday. I think most people will know William Wyler for directing films like Ben Hur, Funny Girl, and various Western films. I think the ultimate American Dream is to build a life for yourself and make a better life for your family and the people you care about. I would live to see a biopic on this, something similar to The Aviator.

If I could choose one actor to play Carl Laemmle, I would choose German Jewish actor. It is very really important to me that the actor be an immigrant. This is an immigrant's story.

Comments