My Mortal Kombat Movie Kasting




So in my opinion, I feel like  this movie can only go one of two ways. But the most obvious one is the original tournament with the same people. 

I personally would be hyped for this idea, but I totally get that it’s already been done for the big screen. The original Mortal Kombat movie is actually in the public domain, you can watch it here. I love movies that are "so bad they are good"; so it won’t be the end of the world for me if they go in a different direction. I hope they do, but I don't see it happening. 

Movie idea number two: the Kombat Kids’ adventures in the Special Forces. If you don’t know who the Kombat Kids are, they are four young (same age as me) adults who have family members that are already established in the franchise. There is Cassie Cage, Jacqui Briggs, Takeda Takahashi, and Kung Jin. If it was up to me, I would go this route because it’s is a good way to continue the story of Mortal Kombat, yet make the story new. All of the Kombat Kids have some kind of Kevin Bacon effect to most of the older characters. So, we could have cameos from our faves! Here is a bit of a refresher on who the Kombat Kids are.

Cassie Cage is the daughter of  Sonya Blade and Johnny Cage. Sonya Blade is a sergeant in the Special Forces. The Special Forces is a part of the Outerworld Investigation Agency. Which I guess is part of the military. My Kustom Variation on the most recent Mortal Kombat game was going to be called Rhonda Lousey, but the powers that be deemed it inappropriate. Whatever.  Tre named his Sonya Baby Makin' Time, and I became a Erron Black main. Johnny Cage is an actor that decided to compete in the Mortal Kombat tournament to prove he did not need stunt actors or something. The Ninja Mime himself is Cassies' father. They have a pretty good relationship because Johnny had to raise Cassie because Sonya was more into protecting that world. Her and Sonya are good now.


Jacqui Briggs is the daughter of Jax Briggs. Jax was in the Special Forces when he was younger and doesn’t really like the fact that his daughter joined. He knows first hand how dangerous it is. Jacqui’s mom was named Vera, there is not a lot of information out there about her. As of Mortal Kombat 11, she's dead. Jacqui was a junior Olympic boxer and is skilled in Muay Thai. She also knows how to kickbox. Honestly, I want her to beat me up. She is engaged to Takeda.


 
Takeda Takahashi is the son of Kenshi. Kenshi is a blind telekinetic swordsman that looks like Keanu Reeves. I never really liked Kenshi because his Sento has the souls of his ancestors. So it’s like he’s calling his granddad to beat you up instead of throwing hands. Boring. Takeda is cool because Kenshi, despite using his ancestors to fight, ditched his son when he was young. Takeda is Scorpion’s apprentice within Shirai Ryu.I like to think of their relationship like Piccolo and Gohan in Dragon Ball Z. I guess Kenshi had a good reason for ditching his son, he was tracking down his wife’s killers. But, my own mostly absent father died this year and I’m still in my feelings. Takeda is also dating Jacqui! They are currently engaged...I think. Not sure how to explain it because of how or talk Kombat 11 ended. I hope The Fire God lets them stay engaged. 


Kung Jin is the annoying nephew of the equally annoying Kung Lao. He is also a member of the White Lotus like his uncle and his cousin (?) Liu Kang. But honestly? How is this family line continuing if they are all monks? Anyway, all of these men are descended from The Great Kung Lao who was the Champion of Mortal Kombat, Yeah, it's blink and you miss it, but Liu Kang is related to him too.
 500 years ago. However, The Great Kung Lao lost that title and his life to Goro. Even though Kung Jin’s rude demeanor and arrogance gets on my nerves, I think it’s cool that he’s gay and it’s not at all relevant to the story. Liu Kang and Kitana were my OTP before I even knew what hat was, but I appreciate a story line that has nothing to do with romantic love. That is why I like Cassie’s character too! She loves her family! No significant other needed kthx. (edit: I have been playing the towers and she has boyfriend-kinda named Dylan...or Bob....As Sonya says, "Who cares, it's not like he's sticking around")





Here is my Kast for the second idea. I think peeople kasting more klassic characters has been done to death. I wanted to bring something original to it!

 Cassie Cage:Chloe Grace Moretz
I thought Cassie's redesign was based on Chloe's face at first. It's actually based on a model named Christina Eenigenburg. Also...y'all Scorpion's face model is super hot and I thirst follow him on instagram (@nicomilado).

  We know that Chloe would make an awesome Cassie, because she was an awesome Hit Girl! But, it's awesome enough that it doesn't feel like type casting. In fact, Chole has been KILLING it in horror for what feels like forever. I feel like I don't say that enough. Also, my ideal Mortal Kombat moive would be action-horror, not just action. I like the direction the video game has taken Cassie's character and I would totally be down to see how they would make her for a movie. Since movies are shorter than video games.  Johnny Cage and Sonya Blade can be Jeremy Renner and Leslie Mann.
Jacqui Briggs

I don't know the race of my blog readers, so if this goes over your head, I do apologize. Race relations is something I try to not talk about on here unless it's like, super relevant. Jacqui is dark skinned. She has dark skin! So no Yara, no Amandala, no Zendaya. Yes, those girls are of African descent. But they cannot be Jacqui. There are not enough dark skinned black women that are seen as love intrests in any for of media. Jacqui is not mixed. Jacqui is dark skinned and pretty. Anyone my shade or lighter cannot play Jacqui Briggs. I will not be elaborating. Kiki Layne should play Jacqui Briggs (and Storm!) As for her parents? Jax should continue to be played by Michael Jai White. Why mess with perfection? Vera, I'm not sure if they would make her alive or not, but I think she could be played by Kerry Washington. 

Takeda Takahashi
Bruh, I never understood why #y'all had crushes on video game characters, but I get it now. So I chose a person that I also have a crush on.Nico Millado! I know you're probably wondering why I'm like this. But hey...It's better than inserting Bill Skarsgard into everything! You know what that is? ~Growth~. I actually have a good reason for Nico to play Takeda. When I was explaining to Tre about who Takeda was because I wanted him to cosplay him, Tre said:
"He's basically just young Scorpion." 
So, who better to play "Young Scorpion" than...Young (and apparently old) Scorpion. Who should be Kenshi?  Keanu Reeves obv. You know I had to do it to 'em. As for his mom? I'm not too sure. Mostly because I would like a plot point to be Kenshi and Takeda hunting down the people that killed Suchin.  


Kung Jin


Probably a #hottake, but I could not stand Kung Jin in the story mode of MKX. I wanted to like him so much, because he is the first known LGBT+ male character in the series. I liked the idea of having a gay man in such a ~macho~ franchise. Which is super cool, but Jin was not cool. I thought he was a mean person. I didn't like how he undermined Cassie when they were in Outworld, because it almost got them killed. I didn't like him bringing up that Jax used to be a revenant . Not only because it's a sore spot for Jacqui, but because Kung Lao and Liu Kang were revenants too. I think he would have reacted negatively if Jacqui or someone else brought it up. I didn't miss him in MK11, but I think it would look hella sus if everyone but Kung Jin so we gotta do it.
Since I can not stand Kung Jin, but like him as a concept...I wanted to pick an actor from something I did not like, but someone I like as an actor.   And y'all, I HATED Glee. I did like the first season. But like most things from Ryan Murphy, it fell apart at the end. I do think Harry Shum Jr. is very, very, VERY handsome and he is already known to the Mortal Kombat franchise. He played Sub Zero (Kuai Liang) in Mortal Kombat: Legacy. 


Anyway, they would never chose these four Klowns to head a movie! I do hope that the movie which will probably be a rehash of the first tournament will lead to a television show with these guys because seventy five person of them are very likable. So, are y'all ready for like....the third reboot? Lmao, I'm not complaining or gatekeeping. I am excited Af. But how many times do we gotta see Scorpion beat Sub-Zero's ass? Especially when you know the beef was started by Quan Chi and not Sub Zero? Is the erasure of Character development worth it? I mean, the answer is obviously yes, Scorpion is awesome.

Comments

Post a Comment