Lupita's List (part one)




Prior to filming US, Jordan Peele had the beautiful and amazing Oscar winning actress Lupita Nyong'o view a few movies. I wanted to talk about them, because all the movies were really good. The themes are kind of diverse. I watched them in hopes I would be able to get a good grasp of what US is going to be about. Because I am literally so freaking excited for the movie. I say that a lot, but I feel like this is the horror movie of my dreams. It has respected actors, it seems pretty cerebral without being snobbish, and it's by Jordan Peele!
Ever since I heard that Lupita was going to be in Star Wars, I have wanted to see her play an evil character. I thought she was cast as Asajj Ventress, who was quite the bad bitch! I do like Maz Kanata, but I always knew that Lupita would SHINE as a villain. I remember when Amanda Seyfred played Karen in Mean Girls, and the makers of the movie said that they needed someone who was actually smart to play someone so stupid. I think I had some kind of sense like that with Lupita. She radiates such a kind and sweet energy that seeing her play a bad person would be scary.
 With US, it's looking like I'm going to get what I've wanted to see for a long time. Obviously, there is an evil doppleganger. And man, it's gonna be so cool.

I think the movies Jordan Peele had her watch would help her play Adelaide and Tethered Adelaide. I used the main themes of the movies to add some speculation on the plot of US. These movies were slightly similar, but very, very, different.
For length reasons, I'm going to break this into pieces. I have a lot of thoughts, and I thought I would be kind and not be so verbose. Mostly in hopes that people will read the whole thing lol. Here is part one. 

The first movie on the list is Dead Again. This movie was made in 1991 and directed by Kenneth Branagh. Yes, Gilderoy Lockhart himself! It stars Emma Thompson, who played Professor Trelawney in Harry Potter. I guess they used to be married, which  makes me question the population of Britan. Like....Do not a lot people live in Britain? Because they broke up because he cheated on her with Helena Boham Carter who played Bellatrix Lestrage, (Voldemort's baby mama). Honestly....the ghetto.
 Anyway, the movie is about this lady that has memory loss. A private investigator is helping her figure out who she is/was, but it turns out they are connected in someway. This really isn't a movie where you can do other things while watching the movie. You need to sit and watch it. There is a plot twist that I don't want to give away. But, what I did notice, because it's literally impossible to ignore, is that the movie is heavy on the scissor imagery. Just like the trailer for US! In Dead Again, the scissors are mostly for artistic purposes and for...the same thing I think the gold scissors in US are going to be used for. Instead of Doppelgangers, this movie focuses on past lives, so Emma Thompson and Kenneth Branagh play different people in different time periods. It kind of makes me think that some people are just meant to be together. As if they are ~tethered~.
Before writing this post, I had never even heard of this movie. Which is odd, because it seemed like something I would like....AND Robin Williams is in it. I really like him as an actor so it was weird to me that I had not heard of the film before. Also, Wayne Knight (from Space Jam) is in this so I wanted to take some time out to hope that R. Kelly is having a shitty day. Wayne Knight's character is named Piccolo, I literally hollered. The movie was alright. But it was my least liked out of the ten.
Since Lupita is the female lead of US, I imagine Jordan Peele wanted her to relate the the female lead of Dead Again. So I feel like this movie benefits the "good" Adelaide that had something bad happen to her. what happened? We don't know yet. The trailer doesn't elaborate.

The next movie I watched was The Shining. I was going to make a separate post on what I think The Shining means. But, it's very relevant to what I think that US could be about. You know how in the end of The Shining we see Jack in the photograph? Many people think that Jack was absorbed into the hotel. But, I, I think, Jack simply went home. He was ALWAYS the caretaker.
Something interesting that I think is overlooked is that the hotel has both a Delbert and Charles Grady attached to it. Delbert Grady was a butler in the 1920s, and Charles Grady was a caretaker who butchered his entire family. That's where those twins came from btw.  I think Grady is going through the same thing Jack is. Maybe, it's a loop that can only be cut with golden scissors.

Just like certain people/energies are tied to people like in Dead Again, I think people/energy can be tied to places.I feel like a decent explanation of the doppelgangers trying to hurt the Adelaide and her family is because they went to a place that they belonged. The Doppelgangers want to keep them where they are...by any means necessary. Maybe the doppelgangers are trying to get them to get out (lol) of the place because every time they end up on that beach/that house, something bad happens. Which could be why the doppelgangers are slightly disfigured. 
Also, guess who's grandson is making their film debut in US? JACK NICHOLSON'S!!!

The Babadook
I *almost* put The Babadook on my list of current films that will be classics. I really like this movie, so I was excited to watch it again. Not a lot of people agree on what The Babadook is about. Now, I'm a mom, and when I watch The Babadook, I see it as untreated depression. More specifically, post partum depression.
Anna Diop is in this movie. Her role has not been explained yet. At first, I thought that she might play a doctor at the cloning place the dopplegangers came from. She has a very studious look to her lol idk. Titans is not a show that I like, but it's not because of her. It makes me sad shes getting blamed.There are other actors that are complete dog shit in their roles. Yet it seems like Anna and Brenton (Starfire and Robin) are getting the most hate, when they are very good at working with what they were given. I really like this version of Robin. When I did not think I was going to. I have almost forgiven Brenton Thwaites for being a part of that horrible version of The Giver. Which is huge, because Alexander Skarsgard is still on thin f*ckin' ice for The Giver.
I think Anna is playing someone that is a part of their family. This sounds off the wall....and it is. I'm just throwing things out here hoping something sticks. Anna is their other daughter's doppelganger. The original other daughter died, in a fiery car accident shortly after she was born.  I think Lupita has to cut the cord mentally and stop blaming herself for the car accident. Just like Amelia had to do in The Babadook. Amelia had to learn to work with her grief. She locked his ass in the basement, but it's better than The Babadook tearing up her home! When they first see the "Other" family, Adelade's instincts tell her to run away from the family. Gabe, her husband's instinct is to threaten the "other" family with a bat. I think a lot of people run from their depression, like literally me included. Some people try and fight it, like Gabe does in the trailer.
I think the car accident theory does hold a lot of weight because there is a lot of car imagery in the movie, yet we never see Adelaide driving. Her preteen daughter drives, but for some reason, Adelaide does not. And, I watched the three second clip with the ballet, and the ballerina looks slightly older than the preteen daughter. So that begs the question, who is the ballerina?
I'm just an average internet dumbass, but I do think Lupita is going to get even more acclaim in this that she did in 12 Years a Slave. If that is even possible. But, I also think Anna Diop is going to finally receive the love that she deserves.


Comments