Bandersnatch (My Bad)

Anything choose your own adventure is my jam. As a kid, I loved gamebooks! Especially the Goosebumps series where you could choose your own adventure. As an adult, I love playing The Walking Dead game. So, even though this has nothing to do with what I'm actually talking about, I just want to warn everyone...If I have to see Clementine die, even though I basically raised her.  I'm going to complain for like three days! No! A week! She's just sixteen! We've known her since she was eight. I literally cannot. I'm sad it's finally ending.

When I learned that the most recent episode of Black Mirror was going to be choose your own adventure, I was excited and worried. Excited, because I've always felt that things are more interesting when you can insert yourself into a story. Usually, I get this feeling from a character I can relate to. Like Starfire in Teen Titans or Meg in Family Guy (lmao my parents and sibling can't stand me either ). But, the ultimate way you can put yourself into a story is choosing the way the story goes.
I was worried, because my eldest son plays the Minecraft game on Netflix via our television, and he says that it lags. I was worried that would happen to me. It turns out, that it does not lag at all. He is just impatient like me, and HE felt it lagged. In reality, it just gives you ample time to make a choice. He is just a fast reader. So my worries about the game messing up were silly. I kind of went into it expecting it to be kind of jerky because the actors would obviously have to film multiple versions of a scene. But it was all very seamless, if that makes sense.


My husband and I were thinking about canceling Netflix in favor of Amazon Prime and Disney+. I recently canceled my subscription to Shudder. No actual reason on their end, Shudder is great. And with Amazon Prime.. I think you get a discount to Shudder. I'm not too clear on how Amazon Prime works. The only exclusive Netflix content we really care about is Orange is the New Black and certain anime. Tre and I are kind of over OITNB, and it's ending after this season, thankfully. Tre apparently has a subscription service for anime so it would not be a big deal if we didn't have Netflix. I like Castlevania a lot, but there is other horror anime out there.
I enjoyed the format of the interactive game. I think this is what is going to keep me excited about Netflix. I am  going to play this game multiple times to see how I end up. I think this was a smart and creative way to give the show more repeatability. The only episode of Black Mirror I repeatedly watch is San Junipero. Others I have seen once or twice. I think this format is really innovative. I wonder if people are going to get their own Netflix accounts in order to play. I think people sharing accounts is why Netflix had to come up with something like this.


 I thought we (the viewer)  would end up being the demon. The second time I went back and "tried again", I felt that it was Pax, who was the demon of destiny's doing. I'm not a genius by any stretch of the imagination, but this is what frustrates me about Black Mirror. I generally figure out "the twist" way before. I just end up feeling smug instead of having that *mind blown* feeling most people get.  I really enjoyed being wrong! I saw a different option than what I picked and I think that was very *mind blowing* too. I wish I picked a different version because what I chose made me quite sad.  And, I also felt dumb right  after because we SAW that dumb ass dog dig stuff up. I was like wow, my dude is going to jail lol. And this is in the eighties, so I mean Jail, jail! Sorry Stefan!
So when I was able to go back, I chose the next option. But I wonder what would happen if you kept choosing the same choices even if you get to go back. So this second option made me feel ambivalent because what happened was probably worse, but at least it seems like he is able to pretend to be better for a bit. That ending for Stefan was creepy as f*ck. I'm glad we got to see Pearl again. I think that the headlines on the bottom of her interview are Easter eggs and clues to upcoming episodes. It took me f o r e v e r to get to what I think is the actual ending. So, if you want to watch/play I would give yourself double the amount of time it takes to watch an episode to get to any kind of ending. and then be ready to do it again until you are satisfied.

I feel like there are more endings/ scenarios I have not gotten to yet. I just had other stuff I needed to do. Overall, I stan!I'll be able to watch and play again and again.
The story was...mega interesting and I hope more episodes are like this. Also, Will Poulter (Colin)  is so fine smh, I almost cannot FATHOM him being Eustace in The Chronicles of Narnia. Puberty is amazing. I also thought he was Pax too. That would have been interesting. Did you know he was going to be Pennywise before they went with Billiam? Btw I killed Colin off in the episode as soon as I had the chance lol. His wife surprised the crap outta me! I wasn't expecting that!


How did your Bandersnatch turn out?

Comments