The Great American (Horror) Read



This summer, I joined a book club! It wasn’t like an ordinary book club, it was with all of America! PBS had a club on Facebook where we discussed our favorite books. I had a lot of fun voting and finding new things to read, but I was kind of disappointed. Don’t mistake me for a MAGA, but I really wished the books picked were by exclusively American authors. I feel like the title is misleading. But, what do I know? NOTHING!
America’s favorite book is officially To Kill A Mockingbird. Which, I mean yeah. In my opinion, it should have been The Great Gatsby. As a struggling author, I was really inspired that the top four books were written by women. So, at the same time I was kind of glad it was not The Great Gatsby. 
I wanted to put my own spin on things. So I hope enjoy The Nik Or Treat Great American Horror Read.  Mine is not in any kind of order lol. If you think certain things are missing, you would be 100 percent correct! I focused on novels this time around, but hope to do a post specifically on American short stories. 


The Amityville Horror by Jay Anson 
I already have a post on this book on the blog. It compares the book to the movie!  I'm sure everyone is sick of me talking about it honestly.
The Dead Zone by Stephen King 
We all know who Stephen King is, so I don’t feel like it’s necessary to explain his fame or talk about how he also is a Bill Skarsgård Stan. The Dead Zone is in my opinion, Stephen King's most underrated yet cohesive work. It plays on the trope of getting supernatural powers after being in a coma. Which I really appreciate, as I plan on this being my super villain origin story.I feel that the most "American" novel of Stephen King's is The Green Mile, but that's not really horror.



The Girl Next Door by Jack Ketchum 
This book is based on the sadly true story of Sylvia Likens, a girl that was subjected to terrible abuse. Ketchum stated that he did add some fake stuff and omit real stuff, because it was too much. I agree, because I struggle with reading about the real court case as well. This story is more sad than scary, but I still think it is good. It’s also Ketchum’s best known work.


Twilight by William Gay 
This ain't the sparkly vampire story! It takes place in the 1950s, and is a pretty cool take on the Frankenstein story we  all know and love.  I'm currently in the middle of this one and have to like, stop myself from spending all my time reading the book.
 

Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill Sometimes, the children of the greats benefit from nepotism. This is not the case. Mostly because you would not know who this person's father is unless you google it. Or saw a picture of him. This has almost everything I love about horror without it being cliche. I didn't actually read this, I listened to the audio book, and I was genuinely scared. If anyone is curious about why I have not gone to Zak Bagan's museum yet, this book is why. I don't want those problems!

The Haunting Of Hill House By Shirley Jackson
 Everyone is talking about the Netflix adaptation. I have not started yet. Yikes, I know. It's just that there is so much going on right now. We got the Halloween movie, we've got me trying to make sure I look goodT in my costume, my son wants me to read Harry Potter to him all the time, I gotta watch The Nightmare Before Christmas every damn day, I'm the defacto leader of my Animation Throwdown Guild, I'm almost done editing my third novel, whew, chile, the exhaustion. 
The Haunting of Hill House will always be held in high regard to me. Women in horror tend to get the short end of the stick (or knife, or glove, or teeth). So seeing a woman take charge of the story regardless of the ending will always be empowering to me. 
Shirley Jackson was always ahead of her time. We stan.



The Goosebumps Series by R.L. Stine 
Could I pick just one? No.But my favorite Goosebumps books are Say Cheese and Die, Welcome to Dead House, The Werewolf of Fever Swamp, You Can't Scare Me! The Cookoo Clock of Doom... You know what, they are all my favorites. 

Beloved by Toni Morrison I'm a bit embarrassed to admit this, but it took me forever to finish this book for the first time. Idk, I thought it was very....exhausting. I tried to reread the book when I was a little bit older, and enjoy the book very much. Recently, Michael Bae Jordan stupidly said that African American's do not have myths and legends like other cultures do. Toni Morrison is responsible for the myth of Beloved. And I, as a Black woman am thankful. 


Comments