Hereditary: Let Me Justify Watching This Movie Again.

So, I recently rented Hereditary, because I really wanted to switch it up and cry hysterically in my own home.You know, instead of at the movie theater. Did the movie make anyone else like, wanna cry? I cry as a hobby, so maybe this didn't happen to everyone. But, I get so uncomfortable watching Hereditary that I have like, an emotional response to it. It's kind of like the Green Mile because I liked the movie a lot, but I literally never wanna see it again. I don't know if it's *hereditary* (lol), but certain pieces of media really trigger my mental illness. I really don't think I'll be watch this movie for a while. So, let's talk about some cool things regarding this hell movie so I don't regret watching it again.


1. We have never met Charlie.

Ok, from the get go, this lil girl cutting the heads off of birds and sh*t(foreshadowing her own death) ....not normal lil girl behavior. Creepy trash dolls are not #justgirlythings. On this current rewatch, I've accepted a sad truth. That was Paimon the entire time. Now, I'm a pretty crunchy mom and I wasn't really like wtf when Annie said her mother breastfed Charlie. It takes a village, right? WRONG! I *personally* feel there is a huge difference between donor milk and someone else breastfeeding your child (in the context of this film). The bond between breastfeeding parent and child can be pretty intense. And, I think this is how Paimon got the access it needed for Charlie. And if you really want to go there, there is a pretty credible theory out there that your breastfeeding diet could influence a child's allergies later in life. That's why so many kids these days are allergic to nuts. Children like "Charlie".
I think the breastfeeding played a role in the death of Charlie/Paimon's vessel. You can see Paimon's sigil on the stop sign that decapitates Charlie. It was time for the male host it preferred. Not convinced? Charlie's infamous tongue thing is later done by a possessed Peter. And those dolls Charlie was making? They were used in the treehouse shrine.


2. Chalkboard Magic
Something cool to think about, the effect of "no one" writing on that chalkboard was done with the use of magnets. Another notable example of this in film is in the movie Matilda. Milly Shapiro, who plays Charlie has also played Matilda on Broadway! The SFX team had to learn stuff they were unfamiliar with to create the visual beauty of the movie. Such as, making cadles write themselves. Say what you want about Hereditary, but it is visually stunning. Ari Aster wanted everything done organically and practically. Instead of green screen stuff. And, since this post is a Nik Or Treat production, I just want to say I felt IT (2017) would have been improved with more practical effects instead of relying on the computer. What do y'all think Bill Skarsgard is doing rn?


3. Alex Wolff snapped

He literally snapped! The scene where Peter breaks his nose on the desk was not done by the work of a stunt double! Alex Wolff is a huge fan of horror and wanted to go full method for this. He wanted to break his nose for real, but the director was like...no. So, he dislocated his jaw instead. That sounds super exhausting, but at least he was among friends. He went to school with his on screen sister, and his on screen father player his father once before.


4.Is it Hereditary?

Even though the fashionable school of thought is that they were actually plagued by a demon, it is entirely possible that they all have some passed down mental illness. Possibly schizophrenia or dissociative identity disorder. My therapist told me that it's not unique for someone with these disorders to have episodes after a majorly traumatic event. It's like, relevant to my treatment. I'm not talking to her about movies instead of focusing on getting better lol. We can all agree that most cult leaders have some sort of mental issue. And we have sadly seen the effect a cult leader can have on a group of people play out in real life. And, Paimon isn't something that the director made up. He came from a 17th century Grimoire. I do think it's also very believable. Who put Annie's mom's body in the attic? It could have been the cultists, because they obviously have access to the home, but it also could have been Annie. Mental illness is most likely to show up in someone's mid teens to early twenties. Peter was sixteen when this whole thing happened. That gives the crown he more or less inherited from his grandmother so much more heavy.


Comments