Get Thee To A Nunnery! (Not This One Tho)



We’ve got to state the obvious, sixty two million freaking dollars. No matter the quality of this movie it made sixty two freaking million dollars. That’s huge for horror, but especially for The Conjuring film series. For comparison, The next highest opening weekend gross from one of these films is The Conjuring 2, which made forty million. This movie has been kind of controversial, because many are divided on if the movie is actually good.

I have a series on here called what the franchise that I regularly shortened to WTF. So I hope you don’t get confused when I say what the f*ck?! The Nun is now considered the worst film in the Conjureverse to some, and maybe the worst horror film of 2018. I however, think that the worst horror film I saw in 2018 was Truth Or Dare. To say this is the worst horror had to offer in 2018 is absolute Nunsense! 😂

But, I will admit it isn’t the best film from The Conjuring series. Instead of #prayforforgivness it’s #prayforthejumpcarestostop. I do feel like people are exaggerating about how bad it is, but it’s not the Citizen Kane of horror by any stretch of the imagination.

I feel stupid now, because I have made not one, but two posts about The Nun before seeing the movie. Now I’ve seen the movie and it is not “good” like I anticipated. It’s just okay. So, my biggest gripe with this movie is that Valak was not properly utilized at all of this film. This could’ve just been called the creepy Romanian monastery and nothing would’ve changed outside of the callbacks to other Conjuring films. Valek as a character wasn’t scary in this, and I really do feel “she” was misused. Maybe if “she” moved weird like Mama, or had some amped up makeup a la Regan/Pazuzu in The Exorcist, she would be scary. Even when we saw it’s real face, it was underwhelming. Will anything in this series top THAT moment in Annabelle:Creation? MY soul left my body the first time I saw that.


Honestly, if you are not super into the Conjuring films, you’re not missing much by skipping this movie. However, despite my dissatisfaction with the movie, I think if you are already immersed and invested in the ~lore~ the experience is nice. Even though many fans are divided by the film, it seems like people that have no interest in horror don’t even know this movie is like a thing outside of the controversial YouTube thing. Btw, I never even saw that ad, which shows YouTube needs to fix its targeted ads! I listen to music on YouTube frequently, and I also watch horror short films often. I should have saw that ad. I don’t care for jump scares, as they are lazy most of the time (as seen in this film lol) .But it’s mega annoying to get commercials for makeup, when the only makeup related things I watch are vintage makeup tutorials and SFX.

The acting in the movie wasn’t all that amazing. I’m actually starting to think the first season of American Horror Story is like, Taissa Farmiga’s actual personality because her acting was so great in that! And then, I watch her in other things and she is just okay. Just wanna put it out there, I don’t ship Tate and Violet at all! Like, maybe it’s not Taissa’s fault and the characters she plays are all annoying. Even Sister Irene got on my nerves a little.



What I will say is that I appreciate that the story is now a completely straight line and I’m satisfied with the complete story. That being said, maybe the sequels that are in the works are not necessary.

But, I’m not going to sit here and bad talk The Nun for ever, because like I’ve said many times over....not every horror movie has to be amazing.There are plenty of stupid romantic comedies, but those keep getting made. And the same can be said for horror/thrillers. For example, Searching (#starringjohncho) is a movie that I don’t think I will ever stop recommending to people. And, if you have Netflix, Terrifier is literally terrifying. And, I like clowns!!! But, I was still a little scared haha. Also, Terrifier is also a spin off! It’s a spin off All Hallow’s Eve and it’s sequel. I haven’t seen the movies yet. Mostly because I thought they were YouTube videos because I only saw Art the Clown there in the lil horror section on YouTube.

Anyway, I’m going to talk about The Nun a little bit more, because even though the movie was not my taste, I enjoyed the connections to the other movies in The Conjuring series. Here are my favorite connections and things you may have missed on the first viewing.




Remember Sister Charlotte from Annabelle: Creation? Well if you remember the photo that she showed during her time in Romania, all those nice Nun ladies and Sister Charlotte were chillin’ because before this movie took place. You can see Valak plotting in the picture. The same photo is on the wall when they first go to the Abbey in his film. So, bad news for those nuns. Valak took over the abbey, those girls are like, super dead. Probably in Hell. I don’t understand how *that* works in the context of this film series but I’m pretty sure the Annabelle demon condemned everyone that it killed to Hell. The only *real* nun outside of the ones prologue is Sister Irene. The rest of them are just Valek playin’ around I’m going to see the movie again, so don’t quote me on this one. They could very well be ghosts. Like I said, I’m not too sure how the afterlife is understood in this series. I’m not Catholic and I’m not comfortable asking a Catholic Priest lol. Another cool thing that might be going on is Sister Irene ‘s “gift” and maybe at least some of the nuns were trying to help her even though they were dead. Because, like, why tf would Valak be like “Hey, here’s how to defeat me btw”? I’m not Catholic, but I really don’t think Catholic God would be so chill about a freaking demon slammin’ all those doors and not paying rent. I feel like at least one of those nuns were angels. But, at the time, the Catholic Church considered suicide a one way ticket to Hell, so like I really don’t know. I actually kind of think Pope Francis just says stuff, and some Catholics chose to ignore it. Pope Francis says a lot of radical/liberal things (IMO they are in line with how I interpret the Bible as a non denominational Christian) and it’s disliked in the ~traditional~ community. So maybe, suicide is a sin to them idk.


Even in the context of the film, I don’t think Sister Victoria died by suicide and it was more a self sacrifice so she wouldn’t be used by evil. Kind of like The Iron Giant. I do think angels have been watching over specific people in this series, which is why, you look really close in scenes in other films, the name Valak can been seen spelled out in blocks, books, and clever cinematic placements.
Side note: that reminds me of The Iron Giant. I’m still pissed I was dumb enough to watch the cartoon with my son one afternoon only to see Ready Player One with my friend Preston later that night. Ugh, I haven’t been right since that day honestly. I had to see him die twice in one day 😭. It’s good to remember in both instances, they both weren’t *really* dead...and I feel the same about Sister Victoria. In most cases righteousness can not be completely defeated. That’s just good storytelling.

I was kind of bummed my prediction of Sister Irene and Lorraine Warren having some sort of connection. After all, they are played by literal sisters! Other Conjuring films are set to be made, so it’s not a concrete fact that they are not somehow related. But, I’m not holding my breath with a mouthful of Christ’s blood for this to happen.

I totally wasn’t sure if I wanted to include this one, but I realized I glossed over it during my WTF because I didn’t think it was *that* important. Boy howdy, was I loud and wrong! The character, known as Frenchy (real name Maurice) in The Nun was the man that The Warrens’ helped with his possession. This was the moment Valak decided it was ON SIGHT for the dynamic duo.

The reason Frenchy could not reach the nuns prior to visiting the abbey was not because of their vow of silence, but because they were all dead.


Speaking of which, the opening of The Nun was the end of Annabelle: Creation which I thought was super cool. Mostly because Annabelle:Creation is my favorite film out of them all. I was pretty bummed out that there was no extra scene in The Nun.



At the end of the day, all I can say is....this isn’t as bad as Annabelle. But at least Annabelle kind of had a point to it. This movie is a bit unnecessary, and was probably made to make some money. The mission was obviously accomplished because it seems the entire horror community came out to support The Nun! Even though this movie is kind of forgettable to non fans, I can promise you that worse horror movies exist. The fact that this did so well at the box office makes me hope studio executives are paying attention and will make even more horror movies. We have had ten consecutive years of superhero movies and most of us still get hyped for a new one. We should keep that same energy for horror. I wasn’t going to mention this but... Irene is pretty close to being a Nun, and from my understanding of nuns is that they are “brides” of Christ. I think it’s very strange that this particularly special woman can spit Christ’s blood into a demon’s face and the demon isn’t like....obliterated from existence but, some lady screaming the demons name sends it back to hell. Lmao k. I’m not to sure what the actual difference between Nun and Sister. But I feel like Irene’s battle should have murked Valak as she is a little more religiously significant than Lorraine.

Comments