What I Want To See On Shudder

As far as I’m concerned, Shudder is really showing the girls how it’s done! Shudder is literally the Netflix of horror. Outside of Veronica, I’ve been quite fatigued by Netflix’s horror selection. So having Shudder has been a real lifesaver this summer. While I am more than satisfied with the selections on Shudder, I think the best way for Shudder to become *the* streaming service is to provide more television shows.


When I started this, I had no idea they would be adapting Creepshow into a television series. This post has been in the works for some time. I guess it was the kick in the butt I needed to try to get my work out faster. As I get older, I prefer television to movies. I don’t always have the time to sit and watch a three hour movie. But watching something that’s an hour or less while I’m on the treadmill is like, super attainable. And it would give me something to look forward to because I hate cardio. So here are five television shows that I think Shudder should produce. I based this on things *I* would want to see. If there’s something you thing should be on Shudder, you should just tell them! They are really good about answering on twitter!



1. An updated version of Are You Afraid of the Dark?

I know what you’re thinking, this is what the Creepshow remake is for. But that’s not what I mean when I say I want something like this. Another streaming service is rebooting The Twilight Zone. An updated Are You Afraid of the Dark? will probably attract the same fans as The Twilight Zone; and probably Black Mirror if you think about it. Are You Afraid of the Dark? would make Shudder an even better deal than already is. In my home, Shudder is specifically for *me* because my sons are too small for most (ok all) of it’s programming. And my husband will sometimes watch stuff with me, but is overall uninterested. Are You Afraid of the Dark? is one of the first things that introduced me to horror, just showing my oldest child a version made for his generation would be super fun and nostalgic. Kind of like how Teen Titans Go! got both of my sons into superhero stuff, that particular cartoon is not for me (because I am a whole adult!) but it’s cool to see my kids like the same stuff I do. I really enjoyed the Neil Gaiman stories they have on there! So, something a bit like that. Ok, you know what? I actually do like Teen Titans Go! I’m not going to front.


2. So You Want To Be A Slasher

This would be a reality show where people can compete to play the next killer/monster in the next Shudder original movie. The show would have acting *and* physical challenges. Maybe even have previous well known killers/monsters like Tony Todd and Robert England serve as judges or mentors. Maybe one season can be for the winner to play the antagonist and the next season could be a search for the hero/final girl.


3. Cryptoschoology

A show that talks about the origins of mythical monsters and cryptids like Nessy, werewolves and yetis.It would be interesting to see someone discuss the evolution of these creatures and how the “evolution” has affected horror movies as time progresses. At the end the host can give reasons why they believe the cryptic is real or not. I couldn’t host this show because I believe almost everything is real. πŸ˜‚


4. Halloween Around The World

A documentary on the history of Halloween and how it’s celebrated throughout the world. We’re kind of obsessed with the movie Coco around here! Lately, I’ve been really interested in teaching my sons how religion and Halloween intersect. I grew up in a religious household, and certain parts of Halloween were considered inappropriate. Now that I’m old enough to do my own research on it, I’ve found it interesting that a lot of things I do in my family have pagan, and even hoodoo roots. Maybe a lot of other people that grew up in religion feel this way too. I think that they should have an accessible opportunity to learn like I did. I envision this with multiple hosts so we can learn about other cultures too.


5. Nik or treat the TV show.

That’s all I’ll say about that for now. Just thought I would shoot my shot while we’re all here. 😏


6. What Are You Afraid Of?

A show about the anthropological reasons we fear certain things. For example, many people fear the Dark because way back when, predators could easily kill us in the dark because we wouldn’t see them coming. Fear of the dark is directly related to natural selection, and it’s high key where I think the “monster under the bed”thing came from.


7. The Writer’s Way

I can’t be the only person that notices that there is a LOT of Stephen King work to be found on Shudder. The thing I would like to see the most is successful horror writers discussing their particular writing process. I write books too, and when people ask me HOW I sat down and wrote three whole books they all seem interested. Stephen King is the GOAT of literary horror, but I would also like hearing stories from screenwriters, comic book artists, and wow, maybe even people who do scary short stories on reddit. Or bloggers and podcast people. Btw, my favorite podcast at the moment is Nightmare On Film Street.Sooooo if you’re reading this subscribe to them as well!


Comments