THE NUN: My Thoughts and Theories



Guys! I’m so excited for this entry into the Conjureverse! I’ve been doing a lot of reading about The Warrens lately and it has me even more interested. The Nun has very little to do with the IRL Warrens.
I sincerely hope that the next (eventual) Amityville Horror movie will be a part of the Conjureverse. If you didn’t know, or haven’t seen the second Conjuring movie, the first scene is what happened to the Warrens in the Amityville home. I personally would like a whole movie. The insidious franchise is kind of bouncing through time, so I don’t think it would be the end of the world to go more in depth of something we’ve already seen. The Warrens, but Lorraine specifically claimed something they only referred to as “the evil” latched onto them at The Amityville House. Maybe The Nun is what “The Evil” is.

So, a few days ago the long anticipated teaser trailer for The Nun came out. It’s said to be the darkest movie out of them all. It’s looking like The Valak (The Nun) was a young Nun that died by suicide. Suicide is dark, Catholic culture has a saying called “dark night of the soul”. In which a Christian (specifically Catholic) person experiences a spiritual crisis that cannot be comforted with prayer. IRL, people believe Mother Theresa suffered from this from 1948 to 1997. Her postulate (the person in charge of investigating reasons for canonization) had access to a few of her personal letters/diaries and said that her dark night was so terrible that she stopped believing in God altogether.
Just to be fair, many people believe that Mother Theresa was experiencing the same feelings Jesus Christ did when he was dying on the cross. Like in a “why have you forsaken me, God?” type of sadness. While Mother Theresa was able to regain her faith, I do believe she was suffering from literal depression and not emotional stigmata. But, it’s just an opinion. I have this opinion because she described her issues as, “the long darkness: that strange suffering”. Not only is that how I view my own depression BUT, guess what happened five weeks later? Her dark night reappeared. Sadly, she was ashamed of her depression and asked that a lot of her letters be destroyed, because she didn’t want people to think “less of Jesus”. Like I said, her having depression is just an opinion. I’m not a doctor, just a regular depressed internet dumbass.



With the knowledge of this, and Catholic attitudes towards suicidal behavior, I believe The Nun became a Valac because of the manner of her death. In the trailer, there’s a door with a latin phrase on it that translates to “God Ends Here”. This is according to the trailer, I don’t speak Latin, obviously. I wish I had that kind of time/patience. Anyway, my theory is that this particular Nun lost her faith and in doing so, Valak took over her.

In the Key of Solomon, “he” describes Valac as a demon. Other authors say Valek happens to be the president of Hell! *Insert your original stupid Trump joke here*. Collin de Plancy said Valek looks like a little boy riding a two headed dragon, not a Nun. I hope we get to see that version of Valec in the movie because that sounds pretty badass. Valec is sometimes spelled Valek. In the Conjureverse it’s looking like it’s spelled Valak. The key of Solomon says Valec. As someone who’s name is frequently spelled wrong, it’s nice to know The Nun and I have that in common.



This movie is a prequel. We’re likely not going to see the Warrens. However, Vera Farmiga’s sister Taissa is in the film! I loved most of the seasons of American Horror Story, so I’m stoked. I don’t believe she is any sort of kin to The Warrens because Taissa was not the first choice for This role. Corin Hardy, the director did not want to cast her until he was blown away at her audition tape. Also, the potential sequel to “The Nun” will explain Mrs. Warren’s connection to The Nun and will bring everything full circle. Wouldn’t it be funny if The Nun keeps popping up around The Warrens because Lorraine Warren and Sister Irene strongly resemble each other and it’s just confused. If they do end up being related, I hope they are distant cousins. No secret sister nonsense ty.

This was a true teaser trailer. We don’t know the plot, or anything really, but it’s fun to speculate! I’m look forward to the movie, which comes out in September. I wish it was coming a little closer to Halloween, because it seems like a Halloween movie. However, I’m happy the wait isn’t that long! I really appreciate horror teaser trailers, or any horror trailer that doesn’t give the good parts of the movie away. That jump scare at the end did get me tho!

If you’re experiencing your own dark night of the soul, my social media is open if you would like to talk to someone who is also going #thruit. I feel like people involved with Abrahamic religions do not experience depression, or any mental illness for that matter the same way others do. My instagram, tumblr, and twitter are all nikortreatt . I don’t have the anonymous option on my tumblr messages because people as a whole do not know how to act. Lol. I don’t feel right sharing the suicide hotline on here because I know everyone know how to use google. It feels asinine, redundant, and uncaring at this point.

As for my thoughts on the Halloween sequel? Woo, chile...The ghetto. I’m hoping for the best though! Maybe I’ll post something more substantial if/when I feel more positive about it.

Comments