The Met Gala and Catholic Horror

I’m not sure if this is like, cultural appropriation, but I love the concept of Catholicism and think the *aesthetic* is beautiful. I don’t see myself changing religions, but I do admire this Pope for the most part. I don’t even know what my religion is called, I just identify as a regular old Christian that has attended many Christian churches. I feel like Catholics are generally Christian, but I’m not an expert on religion. I prefer keeping my relationship with God/Jesus/The Holy Ghost ™️ to myself and “confessing” sins to anyone else but God doesn’t seem appealing to me. I personally don’t need a middleman, but the art that the Catholic Church has inspired is beautiful. Basically, this is how I feel.



Anyway, the Met Gala was last night. The theme was Heavenly Bodies: Fashion and the Catholic Imagination. Lana Del Rey was the best dressed, in my opinion. The night of the Met Gala, and in general. 😂 Here are my favorite looks from the 2018 Met Gala.

Even though some youtubers attended, your favorite blogger did not get an invite. However, I had my idea for my outfit as soon as I heard the theme. I would want to wear a purple ball gown designed by someone based in San Diego. Not only to reflect that I will never forget where I came from, the New Testament encourages humility. But, to reflect how my love for Catholic art and Architecture came to be. A Catholic man was the first European person to set foot in California. I don’t romanticize colonialism, I don’t agree with their tactics, it is a fact that Cabrillo and Catholicism in general are apart of San Diego’s history. Our baseball team is unfortunately called The Padres. Unlike other places, I do think San Diego county is a wonderful fusion of ethnicities and I feel fortunate that I spent my childhood there. I think it made me the kind of person that has so much interest in different cultures. I sent my teenage years in Las Vegas, and all I got out of it was crippling depression and body dysmorphia. I don’t think it’s appropriate to wear super expensive things to impress God. Before Pope Francis, the Catholic clergy men wore chains similar to American rappers. Gold plated and gem encrusted. Of course, I love bling as much as (okay, probably more than) the next person, but in the context of my relationship to Christ I don’t think I need to be so “extra”. The Bible says comes as you are, and now the clergy tend to wear crosses made out of wood and inexpensive metal.



My goal is to look like someone that took the theme seriously, but still be respectful. Especially because Catholicism isn’t my religion. I would want a purple gown because that pesky Proverbs 31 women supposedly wears purple clothes. I also would have a quote embroidered on the inside or outside. The quote is by J.R.R. Tolkien:
“We have come from God, and inevitably the myths woven by us, though they contain error, will also reflect a splintered fragment of the true light, the eternal truth that is with God. Indeed only by myth-making, only by becoming 'sub-creator' and inventing stories, can Man aspire to the state of perfection that he knew before the Fall. Our myths may be misguided, but they steer however shakily towards the true harbour, while materialistic 'progress' leads only to a yawning abyss and the Iron Crown of the power of evil.”
Before horror movies, my first love was fashion, so I do look forward to events like these! I wanted to tie some Met Gala stuff into my blog for like, law of attraction kind of stuff. Here are some of my favorite Catholic themed horror movies.



The Wicker Man (1973)
A very rare Catholic protagonist! Usually if a horror movie has religious undertones, the ones that follow Abrahamic religions are the shady ones. This is a pleasant surprise. The remake has a cult following.



The Omen (1976)
What would you do if you adopted the Antichrist? The special effects are ahead of its time. Visually, this film is beautiful and I resent the remake because it wasn’t as beautiful. Or entertaining.



Carrie (1976)
Carrie White invented revenge. Young John Travolta was so handsome! As someone that was kind of bullied in high school, and was humiliated at her own prom, Carrie will always be a mood. This was the first Stephen King book adapted into a movie. The White’s religion is never explicitly explained, but they own a statue of Saint Sebastian. So, it’s a safe bet to say they’re Catholic. Saint Sebastian is the patron saint of a Holy death! This is what I mean, Catholicism has so much rich history. It’s so interesting.



The Serpent and the Rainbow
Wes Craven was truly a Master of Horror. I feel like not enough people realize that Haitian Voudon (voodoo) is a version of Catholicism. Not in a “Jesus is actually a retelling of Horus” kind of way, but in a “slave owners made slaves abandon their religion in favor of Christianity” kind of way. It’s all very interesting and the complete story is saved for another post. I want to go in depth about this! And wow, shout out to Solange for carrying a bottle of Florida Water.

I don’t think this was a Haitian voudon thing. Hoodoo/Voodoo/Voudon/Santeria are all different things. I think it was in reference to Louisiana Voodoo/Hoodoo for obvious reasons. one sister has the hot sauce and the other sister has the Florida Water.

The Exorcist



And last but not least, the STANDARD for Catholic horror, The Exorcist. I have written about this movie more than any other one so far. I’m sure you’re sick of hearing about it!

Comments