Movies I Can’t Wait To See

Us

A Nightmare thriller directed by Jordan Peele. It will star Lupita Nyong’o, Winston Duke, and Elizabeth Moss. Nyong’o and Duke were both in Black Panther playing Nakia and M’baku (M’boyfriend) respectively. Jordan Peele was the first African American to win an Oscar for screenwriting. Oddly enough, the star of Get Out, Daniel Kaluuya played W’kabi in Black Panther. Wankanda Forever! Based on the movie poster, it seems like Elizabeth Moss will play a villain. While A Handmaiden’s Tale isn’t exactly a horror, I still have faith that Elizabeth Moss will do well in this genre. Not much is known about this movie, but the cast alone has me excited.
Venom

At first, I was unsure about this movie. A Venom without Spiderman still sounds pretty stupid in my opinion. But I love Spiderman, so.... I’m biased. After seeing the trailer, I see why Spiderman is left out. He (Peter Parker) wouldn’t be a good fit for this movie! It’s very dark. Too dark for Tom Holland’s version of Spiderman. This isn’t a Disney/Marvel production, but I doubt they will even pull a “my nephew lives around here”* kind of line in regards to Peter Parker. They claim it’s intended to be set in the same world as Spiderman Homecoming. I think that will eventually change because, doesn’t that mean Eddie Brock is likely a pile of dust rn? Is he just not gonna mention that at any point? Maybe the I admire Tom Hardy’s dedication to being a professional villain, and I have enjoyed his takes on Bane and John Fitzgerald. But I have also enjoyed him in roles where you knew he was a bad guy, but you liked him as a lead. Like Legend and Bronson. I know for a fact that Tom Hardy will play an awesome antihero. I hope it’s as good as Spawn, which is what I consider the standard for “scary” antihero horror movies. Blade is not an antihero in my opinion. And I guess “I’m not like other emos” because I don’t really like The Crow. Eddie Brock isn’t my favorite version of Venom, but I hope that this is the beginning of a long franchise. Maybe one day we will see Flash Thompson as Venom (and Andrea!) in a good movie. *Aaron Davis, played by Donald Glover says that line in Spiderman Homecoming in regards to Miles Morales (the future Spiderman).
The Nun

A new addition to the Conjureverse! I have no idea what we’re really calling these films...By Conjureverse I mean the Conjuring films, Annabelle, it’s prequel, it’s upcoming sequel, and now The Nun. Maybe we can call it the Warrenverse, since real life demonolists Ed and Lorraine Warren are what brings this all together. I also want another GOOD Amittyville Horror movie. Whatever, this is not what we’re talking about right now. The Valak (who takes the form of a nun) has been in The Conjuring 2 and Annabelle: Creation. It’s always my favorite thing to see because I like the *aesthetic* of Catholicism and find it beautiful. Making something beautiful ugly is always fun. That’s why my favorite part of the day is taking off my makeup. I’m excited to see where the Valak/Nun came from. This film is set in the early 1950s, and ever since the ending of Annabelle:Creation, I’ve wondered how The Nun and The Conjureverse we’re connected. I really feel we are in a horror renaissance at the moment and it was started with The Conjureverse. And I also feel like these movies are only getting better. In fact, think the only one that wasn’t great was Annabelle. BUT it was good for a horror movie. The others are great. My kids own a Raggedy Anne and an Andy, and they are both terrified of them for no reason. So, aside from copyright issues, I don’t know why they had to use the dumb looking doll when they could have used something cute. People don’t like dolls in general. But, that’s neither here or there.
The Meg

Just like The Loch Ness Monster, I believe the Megaladon is still out there. Do I expect this movie to be a cinematic masterpiece? Absolutely not! Will I be seeing this with my friends on a hot summer night? Absolutely. I will love any shark movie released in the summer because they are all homages to Jaws. Jaws was the first summer blockbuster. Yeah, there were other movies before this popular in the summer, like The Sound of Music. But Jaws created the formula for a blockbuster movie which among other things, includes television promo and more movie screens. I love Jaws more as an adult, and I think if anything, The Meg will be a good time.

Comments