Happy Mother’s Day!

Since it’s Mother’s Day, I wanted to express my love for some of the most entertaining mothers in horror movies. Some of them are “good” moms and some of them are “bad” moms, but they all have great rewatchability. I wanted to post some movies that I think do not get enough credit. So, while some of the mothers are wildly popular, some are kind of unknown. For this reason, I’ve excluded Chris MacNeil, Norma Bates, and Wendy Torrance. I have posts about their respective movies.




Margaret White - There are a lot of movies about Carrie that make me go “oh, wow...Kin”. But her mother is not one of them. My mother is not terribly religious, and sometimes I wonder how my life would have ended up if my mom was religious. Then I think about Carrie’s Mom and realize I’m lucky.




Mama - After seeing the short film this movie was based on, I was shook! So when the movie came out I was so excited. I don’t regard Mama (the movie) as a horror, more of a fairy tale. Kind of like how I don’t think Pan’s Labyrinth is a drama. These are modern day fairy tales. I have a post on this movie’s symbolism up already, so I don’t want to say too much. Mama is such a pretty film that I love dearly. Javier Botet makes every role he plays realistic and creepy. I love him. Jessica Chastain’s Annnabel made a good step mama as well.




Pamela Voorhees - I’m going to be salty about this for the rest of my life. So, I’m going to tell the story YET AGAIN. My son was born on Friday the 13th, during a supermoon, and my husband wouldn’t do a last second name change to Jason. Not even the middle name! I’m mad! Another name I wanted was Arthur, which is pretty close to his actual name. It’s not the end of the world, but I’m still mad. We had the opportunity and we blew it. What I like about Pamela Vorhees is that she took a feeling I think all mothers have at one point, to the extreme. I have only used two babysitters for my sons. My grandmother and my mother in law. So, I know nothing is going to happen to my sons because I trust hem with my life. But, if my kids went to camp, or even like, an after school program and they got hurt. I would be so pissed!




Goodnight Mommy - This is the movie that had people crying and sh*t at the trailer. It was pretty funny to watch all those people flipping out. Then I watched the movie. Here is my spoiler free synopsis of the trailer and the movie.

Some of the trailer is a bit deceptive, but it made for a good trailer. I feel like the trailer going viral the way it did was the reason this movie was not nominated for an Oscar for Best Foreign Language film. You know the Academy can be a bunch of snobs that hate fun. The horror in this is more psychological than everything. But, things jumping out at you can get boring after a while. Since I don’t speak German, it felt a lot more eerie to me than I think it would to a person that speaks German. The film is about twin brothers that feel there is something off with their mother. Maybe that’s not their mother at all....The film is definitely a soul sister The Other(1972). You know what? I’ve said too much byeeeee.




Donna Trenton - My favorite thing about Cujo is if you watch this with no knowledge of Stephen Kings other works, what happened to Cujo is very realistic. If you do know what’s possibly going on in Castle Rock.... Holy shared universe Batman! My love for this movie and Stephen King’s works as a whole has me HYPED for Hulu’s new series Castle Rock. It’s unlikely people are going to return as their characters since Bill Skarsgård, Melanie Lynskey, Sissy Spacek, and Chosen Jacobs are playing completely different people. I do hope there is a least one person with the last name Trenton. Or even better, give Dee Wallace a role. I loved Dee Wallace as Donna.

Comments