My Movie Idea: I’ll Be Gone In The Dark


If you’ve already heard what happened, you already know....Wild from start to finish, right?
So, the Golden State Killer was finally caught. Thanks in large part to author Michelle McNamara, who’s posthumous book “I’ll Be Gone In The Dark” focused on her search for the murderer’s identity. I can’t in good conscience recommend you look up Joseph James DeAngelo’s crimes * without being warned that they are really sadistic and hard to read. I love horror and all that stuff, but I hate when it happens to real people. I’m too empathetic for that. I feel like that’s why I don’t really enjoy a lot of true crime like my peers do. I do “like” learning about The Black Dahlia Murder, but that’s about it.
Now, HBO has purchased the rights for I'll Be Gone in the Dark and are developing it into a documentary series. I suspect it will be similar in format to Netflix’s “Making A Murder.” But, I don’t really want a documentary unless her family is involved. Her husband worked really hard through his grief and aided in the completion of this book. Michelle McNamara even came up with the name Golden State Killer. He is also called the "East Area Rapist" and "Original Night Stalker". Sometimes he’s referred to as "EAR/ONS”. I feel like her family, her husband in particular have access to notes and what not that could be of help. I would be uncomfortable knowing they were shut out completely.

I think a movie would be pretty dope. I want someone to play the Golden State Killer. I want to see an artistic interpretation of how Joseph James DeAngelo was able to conceal his murders whilst being a cop. Because honestly, I feel like it explains a lot. My vision for the movie is Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (1986) meets Zodiac (2007). I want him to see him stressed that a woman dared to work on unmasking him to the public via truecrimediary. I want to see him open Los Angeles Magazine and see Michelle’s article. I want to see him relieved at the news of her untimely death, thinking his dark secrets are now safe. I want him to be living his stupid life, and stop into Barnes and Noble, maybe to get a coffee....and see “I’ll Be Gone in the Dark”, the threat he gave one of his victims prominently displayed as a New York Times’ Best Seller. Maybe, he would even be bold enough to buy it.

I want to see the police chief look at the DNA evidence in complete and utter shock. I want to see this complete scum of a human being get arrested, and I want it to be exactly how Michelle McNamara described it in her book. After all, it is almost exactly what happened in real life!

I want to see him in his jail cell, after he’s been outed and disgraced by strangers and family. And he’s not going to be haunted by the fifty women he raped, or his twelve murder victims. No. They will rest in the peace the weren’t granted in the last moments of life. He’s going to hear Michelle’s words echoing by some divine force. It is only fitting that someone who terrorized women for decades was ultimately brought down by a woman.
*I know the whole innocent until proven guilty in court thing, but I mean...DNA evidence. He’s guilty, I don’t care about his rights.

I wanted to purposely omit who she was married to. Simply because people are creating in Michelle McNamara as “Patton Oswald’s wife” when she has a friggin’ name! It’s extra annoying because it can read like he is responsible for her success when she worked hard at her craft and it shouldn’t be defined by who she is married to. That’s just my opinion! However, I didn’t want to leave this article on an ominous/sad note. It didn’t feel right to me. I wanted to share an idea I came up with around Christmas time, but didn’t share with anyone but my husband. Remember how good Louie was before we all found out about Louis C.K. being disgusting? I was able to get over the show pretty quickly, but my kids were mad that they were no longer allowed to watch The Secret Life of Pets (you can say we were being extreme, or you can kind your business about our parenting). As a compromise I got them a movie I’ve always been really fond of, Ratatouille. Then, it all came to me. We can replace Louie with a wholesome story with similar themes. We can have a TV show starring Patton Oswald raising his daughter and also the love story between him and his new wife, Meredith Salenger. I feel like that whole situation got a bad wrap when people should be happy he was able to find love again.

Anyway, hope you enjoyed this quick little write up. I’ve been thinking about it all day. I’m still recovering from my “headache” and will be back with a review on Truth or Dare. My last movie review banged, so I hope my next one is just as popular, if not more. Michelle McNamara has really inspired me to work on my own novel a little more too. My book is fiction, but I still think she would be happy to know that she’s inspiring more women to write.
Girl Power Forever,
Nik.

Comments