Hollywood vs History - D R A C U L A

I love my husband. But he wasn’t my first love. Anyone that knows me knows I am a confirmed #vampirehoe. I will give anything with vampires a chance. Without this innate love of vampires, I would never have known about my current celebrity crush Bill Skarsgård. I think you might have heard of him once or twice on here. I kiiinda like Hemlock Grove.

Anyway vampires, or vampire like creatures have been around for centuries, in nearly every culture. But the most famous vampire is Dracula, who is based on Vlad Dracul (Tempes). Bram Stoker’s novel is so universally loved that it has never been out of print. Dracula has been in countless films. The first possible being the Soviet (lost) silent film Drakula in 1920. The most recent being the Iranian film Derakula in 2016.
And I mean, I guess Hotel Transylvania 3, but I prefer to live my life as if Selena Gomez does not exist. There is also a recent cartoon movie called Monster Family. Despite its awesome cast it’s a mess so.... I really feel like it’s very difficult to make Dracula suitable for little kids. I think the Scooby Doo movies and Dracula’s Phantom Zone cameo in the LEGO Batman movie are the only good ones. I think people should get into Dracula when they’re like.......12 and starting to go through their inevitable emo phase.
Bram Stoker and Hollywood has rewritten Dracula to be a well, monster. However in his native Wallachia (which is now Romania) he is seen as a war hero. Saving his beloved home land from Turkey (the place not the food.)
Vlad Tempes translates to Vlad the Impaler. He was well known for impaling his enemies (horizontally or vertically) into the ground. He was also known as Vlad Dracul. He was named after his father. Dracul translates to Dragon, as the language evolved, it translated to devil. So if you think about it people are calling him the son of the devil!
Thanks to Bram Stoker we associate Dracula with Transylvania. However, Vlad Tempes was likely giving Transylvanians that work™️ especially the Transylvanian Saxons that opposed him.





Even though I believe most of us don’t like IRL blood and guts, I think some of blood Tempe’s atrocities are exaggerated. A lot of this is due to ethnocentrism. None of the things he did we’re OK, but his country was at war. Not only that, the people that he was waging war on kidnapped him and his brother (Radu). They killed his father, and his poor older brother Mircea.....They tortured him, blinded him, and buried him alive. So, I mean I get why he was cheesed off. The Romanian people feel that our boy Vlad brought order and stability during his rule. While never forsaking Christianity for Islam, like his brother Radu did. A lot of Vlad’s torture methods came from his childhood imprisonment by the Ottoman Turks.


I think Vlad Dracul’s legacy is dependent on who you ask. A good American example of this is Andrew Jackson’s presidency. I think in instances like these it’s important to ask people who actually live in the place. Things are different in different cultures and I think as a whole, and Romania has just began to embrace “Vampire tourism”. It appears that the locals are not too into it so if you ever get to go there, don’t forget to be respectful.
Three things have fueled the Vlad is a vampire theory.
🧛🏾‍♀️Poetry where people were doing the #theMost claiming he drank and washed his hands with the blood of his enemies.Which is like the most metal thing I have ever heard in my life.
🧛🏾‍♀️ Vlad had no burial site! He died in battle. His head was reportedly sent to his enemy Mehmed 2. But there’s not a lot of concrete information about that. Tradition states his final resting place is the Monastery of Snagov. However when the site was excavated there were no human remains. Only horse bones.
🧛🏾‍♀️ so as a gag order spell some tea artistsbegan depicting him in art. Nbd right? Wrong! He is shown at events he had no business being at. Here he is as Pontius Pilot judging Jesus.
Do you guys think Vlad Dracul is still alive? I kind of do. He is different from our iconic Count Dracula, who met his fate a little too easily in my opinion. He was impaled (LMAOOOOO) after messing with the right ones. I don’t want to give too much away. Universal horror is so close to my heart and I will definitely do a What The Franchise on the Universal Dracula saga. Also, the location of Wallachia confused me a lot! I want to be transparent and say I am not too sure if Wallachia is in modern day Romania, modern day Bulgaria, or both. So while this is my first Hollywood vs History post, it is also a part of the endless series: Nikkie vs. Geography. Stay Spooky, Nik

Comments