Who Could Have Played The Joker

Not sure if you heard, but there is going to be a stand alone Joker story. Which means, It will not star Jared Leto. I have nothing against him, but I did not approve of his version of the Joker. Probably because I am an early 2000s kid and everybody that bullied me in middle school looks like that now.

Like all #fakegeekgirls, I am a big Batman fan. I literally paid to meet Adam West last year, but unfortunately he passed away before the event happened. I got to take a picture with Julie Newmar instead. I let her touch my hair, so PSA to white women: that particular quota has been filled.

The original Batman television series has my favorite live action Joker. I know everyone loves Heath Ledger, and I do too. But the end result was not worth it. The Joker needs to have a good balance of serious and funny, or bad things happen. Best case scenario, you annoy tf out of your cast mates and look like a middle aged hot topic employee. Worst case scenario, your health suffers.

But, I know most people don’t see it my way, which is fine. There are like hundreds of articles already on the web about who SHOULD play the clown king of crime. I wanted to put a more original spin on this and share actors who COULD have played the Clown of Crime in the past. So, I know y’all value my opinions, even though I will always find a way to worm this person into conversations. I’m going to learn Swedish so I can bring the whole family up, and to connect to my roots as well....at least that’s what I told the teacher lol. I don’t know exactly what kind of white I am. I know I’m Scottish, but they were slaveoweners, so they don’t count. But, ever other person I’ve known with my maiden name has been Swedish, so....
I’m going to say right here and right now, there are only three known actors that can play the Joker to my standards. I don’t see it (lol) happening because it’s typecasting at this point. However, I had this feeling since I first laid eyes on this long legged, big mouthed, bug eyed menace. Long before I learned he was playing Pennywise. Actually, one of my twitter friends (who writes for Geeks of Color!) brought this up a month ago and I knew that Bill as Joker was a logical thought and not just me being a super fan.

Now that I’ve got that out of my system....The other actors are Bill Hader and Adrian Brody. The main evil white man ™️ from the original Purge movie facially could do it. I don’t know him like that so I’m not too sure of his acting skills. Matthew McConaughey would do the role Justice. Most of the time he gets on my nerves. Therefore it’s gonna be a no for me, dawg. Crispin Glover is TOO obvious a choice, but I think he would do a good job too. I’m too afraid of a Heath Ledger situation to endorse Glover.

Here is what ~could have been~
Ryan Gosling: The first choice to play The Joker in “Suicide Squad”. Gosling didn’t want to sign to a multi picture deal, so we have Jared Leto instead. Another fun fact: Jared Leto reportedly turned down Marvel’s Doctor Strange to play The Joker in Suicide Squad. Benedict Cumberbatch was the one that ended up playing Doctor Strange.


Willem Dafoe: We could of had him as The Joker instead of Jack Nicholson in the 1989 film version of Batman. Personally, I find Dafoe to be very handsome, but the resemblance to the original comic book Joker is uncanny. I would have liked to see Willem as The Joker instead of Jack Nicholson, as Nicholson as a homicidal maniac had already been done. As a consolation, I think that they should finally remake “The Man Who Laughs” and cast Willem Dafoe as Gwynplaine. I know he played the Green Goblin in the (only Nik Or Treat canon) Spiderman Franchise, but Ryan Reynolds has been Deadpool, The Green Lantern, and Hannibal King (Blade). So, I don’t see the big deal. Also uhhh....Michael B. Jordan was an ok Human Torch but an AMAZING Erik Killmonger.


David Bowie: Bowie was also a choice for the 1989 Tim Burton Version. ScreenWriter Sam Hamm said: "Bowie would be kind of neat because he’s very funny when he does sinister roles". I couldn’t locate a reason why Bowie was never officially casted as the criminal mastermind. When it was time for The Dark Knight to be casted in the 2000s, Bowie was once again considered. I like to believe that David Bowie knew the emotional toll playing such a character would have on him and decided to pass. Jack Nicholson famously told reporters upon hearing of Heath Ledger’s death “I warned him”, presumably Joker to Joker. Current Clown of Crime, Jared Leto has claimed the Joker is “older than we think”. A visibly older Joker would have been truly scary in my opinion. When I read the comics, I kind of imagine him as older because of Mark Hamil. When Frank Miller was working on The Dark Knight Rises comic, he based The Joker off of David Bowie.

Robin Williams: Williams really REALLY wanted to play The Joker. Robin Williams was offered to play The Joker after Jack Nicholson originally turned down the part. When Jack changed his mind, Williams was dropped. In 1995, he was offered the part of The Riddler, “Diet” The Joker, if you will. Robin Williams knew his worth as an actor and remembered how the Batman franchise used him to “bait” Jack Nicholson into taking the role of the Joker years earlier. While he was still thinking it over, they gave the role to Jim Carrey. When it was time for the Christopher Nolan version of Batman, Robin Williams gave an interview to IGN, where he was very enthusiastic about being involved in any way, but was ultimately, obviously, not casted. In his own words, from an interview with the AV Club: “I would do Batman in a second, playing anyone… The Batman films have screwed me twice before. Years ago they offered me The Joker and then gave it to Jack Nicholson, then they offered me The Riddler and gave it to Jim Carrey. I’d be like ‘OK, is this a real offer? If it is, then the answer’s yes. Don’t pump me again, motherf*ckers’.” Robin Williams was a comic book fan in real life, so I think it was a huge mistake to pass him over three times! He’s one my favorite actors, so I am a little biased.

Tim Curry: Probably best known for portraying the terrifying original Pennywise the Clown in the first adaptation of Stephen Curry’s book “It”, Tim Curry could have voiced another famous more than meets the eye clown. Before my personal favorite Mark Hamil gave the voice to The Joker in Batman:The Animated Series, Tim Curry provided the voice. Hamil had to redub everything, because Tim Curry’s voice was “too scary”. I really would love to hear Tim Curry’s Joker! its considered lost, I refuse to believe they threw it out.
Frank Sinatra: Before learning Old Blue Eyes wanted to play the Joker, I thought I would never think of a more perfect foil to Adam West than Caesar Romero. But, a singing Joker would have added another campy touch to the show. According to Burt Ward, the actor who portrayed Robin, Caesar Romeo was casted before Frank Sinatra made his interest in playing The Joker known. Ward said Sinatra was “very upset”. Try imagining something that never was: Eartha Kitt and Frank Sinatra cavorting/ getting into schemes... Sounds Purr-fect to me. Fans of Batman: Arkham Knight already know, Sinatra finally got his wish, in a fun way.

Comments