Is Get Out A Sequel?

When I first saw the trailer for Get Out, I was like...they’re really gonna rip off The Stepford Wives like that? After seeing the movie, I was very happy to be proven wrong. I freaking love Easter Eggs, especially in horror. But, I feel like the connection to The Stepford Wives is deeper. I think Get out is the spiritual sequel to The Stepford Wives.

Both main characters are photographers
The fixation on the main Characters eyes.
The main issue of both movies is the Caucasian patriarchy
The cops are at the very least garbage, and at the most....in on it.
Black Lives Matter is very reminiscent of the 1970s women’s liberation movement. Another thing to think about: the media says Girls is a feminist television show. I’ve never seen it and don’t plan on it so idk don’t take this as 100% fact. Interesting if true though. If Alison William’s known as a feminist and has played both of the broad strokes of white feminism.

One of the standout moments of Get Out is when Logan becomes inconsolable and tells, implores, begs Chris to “GET OUT” and it evokes a very specific feeling. The ONLY time I have ever experienced this in film is when “Bobbie” says “I thought we were friends”. It’s so...unnerving that you don’t even realize Joanna’s hand isn’t bleeding anymore 😂

Rod tells Chris that he thinks they’re selling sex slaves and, at the end of the day, that’s what The Stepford Wives are. I know we want to think men are above having sex with robots but....my husband saw some things at CES.
This is definitely a #filmtheory but I truly feel like the Black couple at the end of The Stepford Wives were the first Black people to go to the sunken place. Or they were at the very least, the prototypes. I like to think Get Out is actually The Stepford Wives’ sequel.


Of course, Get Out pays homage to other horror movies as well.
🤳🏿Rose’s sweater is similar to Freddy Krueger’s
🤳🏿 Get Out is nominated for best picture at this year’s Oscars. It’s only fitting that the hypnosis scenes were inspired by the meetings of Clarice Starling and Hannibal Lester in the 1992 best picture, The Silence of the Lambs.

🤳🏿I could honestly write a very similar article about Get Out’s similarities to Rosemary’s Baby, but I haven’t decided if I want to give Rom*n Pol*nski clout on my blog. It is a very, very good movie. I’m wary about giving him a pass. Especially the nature of his crime and the themes of Rosemary’s Baby. My blog isn’t in the “big leagues”of the internet by any means, but I am a supporter of the #metoo movement , so it kind of feels hypocritical. To be fair, Rosemary’s Baby was written by Ira Levin. No matter what, the link will be made.
🤳🏿 While not a horror film, the Hitchcock directed North by Northwest has a scene where the camera is moving at full speed (I don’t wanna spoil the movie so I’ll leave it at that). It’s definitely a #mood and it’s repeated when Walter runs to the camera in Get Out.
🤳🏿 Jordan Peele says the opening of the film is inspired by the original Halloween movie from 1978.
🤳🏿 Bruh, I understand French almost fluently and I struggle with the tone of La Haine. Some parts were a little “thrilling”, but I suppose it’s just a crime movie. Even though I understand French, a little part of me does have an underlying layer of panic because it’s not my first language. Either way, one of Get Out’s poster was inspired by La Haine’s movie poster.

🤳🏿 There’s a scene of Rod at the airport attempting to get a hold of Chris. In the background, the intercom says a flight announcement for Flight 237. I’ve noticed I talk about The Shining a lot on here, so here we go....room 237 is the worst room in The Overlook hotel. There’s also an over looked plot of whole people destroying people of color in The Shining. It’s more apparent in the book. Maybe Jordan Peele faked the moon landing.

Stay Spooky. More importantly, stay woke.

Comments