In Which The Black Guy Survives


In honor of Get Out being nominated for Best Picture at the Oscars, I wanted to post about some of my favorite Black characters in horror movies. Amazingly enough, they all survive their respective movies.

Wesley Snipes as Blade in Blade
I really feel like the success of Black Panther will bring about the reboot of Blade. So, friendly reminder to go see Black Panther in theaters! Blade had everything I liked in a movie Super heroes, vampires, and New Order on the soundtrack?

Rachel True as Rochelle in The Craft.
I feel like every “creepy girl” likes The Craft. I liked Rochelle the best, because she looks the most like me. I was going through similar things to her when I first saw the movie in middle school. I wish I could have handled it like she did tho! If you haven’t seen it, make some time to do so. Have a sleepover and watch it with your girlfriends. In Trump’s America, Rochelle’s revenge will clear your skin.

LL Cool J as Preacher in Deep Blue Sea
Ok, look. Yeah, Samuel L. Jackson does (awesomely) die in this. But LL’s character makes it to the end. I feel some sort of way about movies vilifying sharks, because there is a connection to them being needlessly attacked because of the media. But, this movie is entertaining. It’s not the greatest movie in the world, but it’s a lot of fun. Stalled SkarsgĂ„rd is in it too! LL Cool J also survives in Halloween H20.

Keith David as Childs in The Thing
Controversial choice, I know. But, I mean...he’s technically alive at the end. The actor explains his interpretation of the ending here. I’m not too sure if I agree with his opinion. Either way, he is one of the first black people, as far I know to survive a mainstream horror flick.

Tim Reid, Marlon Taylor, and Chosen Jacobs as Mike Hanlon in IT
So, who do we think should play adult Mike in the new movie? I hope for Michael Jai White.

And obviously, Daniel Kaluuya and Lil Rel Howery as Chris and Rod Williams in Get Out



A few others nominated by friends and family.
Ice cube in Anaconda
Brandon Adams as Fool Williams in The People Under The Stairs
Taye Diggs in House on Haunter Hill
Brandy in I Still Know What You Did Last Summer
Tanedra Howard as Simone in Saw 6

Comments